question for fellow wildlife photographers

Flower Child

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have been using my dad's super old tripod, an Alkirk (dont think they make these anymore). It is a great tripod but it is very heavy and pretty big. i dont think i could tote this with me when i take lengthy hikes or go through thick brush.

how do you guys haul your tripod around with you when you are out shooting in the wilderness? i have thought about a backpack and that seems the most logical, but i will need an extreamly large one (it is still pretty tall completely compressed). Should i just get a lighter version?

anybody's thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Most backpack style camera bags come with a tripod carrying feature. Example 1, Example 2

I've got a padded tripod bag that has a strap big enough to go over my chest/shoulder....so I carry it separately, even though my backpack has a tripod holder.

If you're talking about long, serious hikes, then look to carbon-fibre (Manfrotto, Giottos, Benbo). They'll do a nasty number on your wallet, but when you're ten or fifteen miles back into the woods, the weight savings will be well worth the cost.

wow you can blow alot of money fast for all the accessories! that backpack looks pretty slick. i will really consider getting one soon. i havent even got my d40 yet haha. that giottos tripod was NICE. what a different that would make on a hike. thanks for the help

I have a Manfrotto 055xpro with a 322rc2 ball head, and yes, its a little heavy. I mount my camera with my 100-400mm lens on the tripod and carry it over my shoulder with the camera behind me and the lens pointed down. The tripod legs have foam padding on two of the legs, so I position the tripod so those two legs are on my shoulder. On my other shoulder I carry a three legged hunting stool/chair. I can carry it a mile or two without much problem. I don't usually go that far without stopping to setup and shoot something, so it works OK for me and I am ready to take a quick shot. For longer hikes I have a backpack for most of my gear that I can mount my tripod on.

that tripod strap is just EXACTLY what i need. and it is a little more in my price range too. thanks so much dxqcanada.

davembck, thats one heck of a tripod you got there. my alkirk doesnt have any foam pads on it or anything so i think im gonna get one of them tripod straps.

In a pinch, you could use the nylon bag that comes with those fold up lawn chairs. I use one of them to carry my other tripods and/or light stands.

I bought raw strapping and then the nylon buckles and, made my own. I have my old Slik U2000 for hikes of longer duration. It is light and solid enough for shooting. It was cheap enough that if it got destroyed then I wouldnt cry over it.

If you are just hiking and not necessarily going and setting up shots, I would suggest a decent monopod. alot lighter and quik and easy to setup.

joves, i put that tripod on my (long) list of things to get. :)

thanks everyone! youve helped me out tremendously.

Most reactions

Back