Question for the Wedding/Portrait Photogs

elsaspet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.visionsinwhite.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I see alot of "not ok to edit". I used to be the same way.

Now adays, I wonder why? It seems all my growth came from someone tampering with my stuff on another forum that doesn't allow the not ok thing. They figure if you put it out there, it's fair game. Anyhoo, it's not about other forums, as I still like this one the most, but I still have to wonder.

You won't be met with confrontation. I just wonder why people don't take advantage of other viewpoints. Most times, me included, the updates aren't the greatest, but at least it's a different perspective. It's not like you have to replicate them, but to me, it's always nice to see something I may not have seen. It's also a great way for me to take a peek into the minds of other photographers.

I'd love to hear the opinions on the matter.
Hugs and have a great weekend!

I'll move this out of the gallery and into the Shop Talk section.

I think that, for some Wedding Photogs, they have worked the image to how they want it. Sure, they know that it could have been worked a million different ways...but they aren't interested in that...they want to know what other people think how they did it. For example, if someone takes a person's photos and cranks the saturation way up and re-posts it. Sure, that's a new perspective...but I would assume that the owner of the photo considered the saturation and set it to what they wanted.

Still, it doesn't hurt to have outside opinions.

Another factor may be that photographers (especially professionals) have a certain 'pride of ownership' of their images. They don't want people 'butchering' their images. Sure, that's unlikely to happen but maybe that's the mentality. Then of course, there is the chance that someones image may be altered by someone else and somehow that image gets out...and it may be unclear who the actual artist is or something like that. It's safer to just say 'Please don't edit my images'.

Really, I think that most people would be open to it...but it would be prudent to actually ask them first. The 'OK or Not OK' is just to give people a sense of security around here.

Thanks Mike. That's just the type of thing I'm wondering.
I guess the thing that's kinda "hand tying" to many of us, is trying to explain in text how "we" see the photo might be enhanced, etc.
We all do it...not just me by a long run. You mentioned bumping colors which is a kinda "me thing", but it also runs the gammet from "blown out to too dark".
Don't you find it hard to comment sometimes, when it's so hard to textually explain it? Or is it just me?
A lot of times, I really like a photo that I've done, and then I'll see it done in say, a chocolate color, and think...wow, that's cool. I hadn't thought of it. I didn't take it that someone thought my photo sucked. I took it as someone else's interpretation. If I hadn't seen it, I never would have thought about it. BTW, I do a lot of chocolate now. :)
Another thing that will happen, is someone will ask for CC. I can tell them what I think, but say it's just a crop that I think would make the difference. You can say, "Ok, go over to the third post on the left-and just under that kinda bluish cloud....then go right over to under the calf's left foot and crop there....try that." :) Wouldn't it just be so much easier to say, "hey, what do you think of this? Is that helpful?"
Thanks for the comment.
Hugs,
Cindy

You are on to something. Photography is a visual meduim...typical person to person communication is verbal (with body language)...but we are on an internet forum which is written communication. It's certainly not perfect and suites some people and not others. Editing and reposting images is sometimes an easier way to get the point across....and I don't think that most people have a problem with that.

Yeah, that's exactly how I mean it. I had trouble communicating that though....case in point! Hehe.

Another thing is that when someone has "do not edit", I find it hard to comment in anything other than, "I like it". I may like it exactly as it is, but if I thought a closer crop would help, I don't feel like I can really say that, as by the "do not edit" I kinda figure the poster likes it exactly as is, and is simply sharing.
It gets confusing to me sometimes.

Hi Stella,
I'll have to post something "chocolate" later. I'm on my laptop at the moment as my main machines are uploading. :) That's why I get to have pondering time. :) :)

OK - I'll check back later. Thanks.

I mainly had the do not edit on my images because I didn't want to see some really great edited photo of mine and not have any idea on how to do it myself. Of course, if someone asks and they explain how they edited so that I can replicate it, then I don't really have a problem with it.
I just want to be able to know how to do it myself otherwise, what's the point of the edit that they did? You'll only have that one image that's been edited and you won't know how to repeat it for something else.

Of course, I am seeing the positive of having someone be able to just show you a crop instead of explaining where they'd crop.

But, I hope most don't think the "do not edit" line means we don't want that sort of feedback, because I know that I do. I am just a really hands on learner and having someone just do something for me isn't always the most helpful. Plus, I think of these forums as I did of critiques during art school. We had to explain what we thought or felt about someone else's work without reprinting it ourselves;)

On another note, I don't understand why someone would show their work in the wedding/portrait forum just to show it and not want feedback regardless of whether it's positive or not. But, that's just me.

Most reactions

Back