Question for those who sell prints online ( smugmug, zenfolio etc. )

Taylor510ce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am getting ready to start building a site ( probably going to go with a SmugMug Pro account ). I was curious, when you save your files, do you just save the largest file you are going to sell, and then downsize from that file if someone orders something smaller? Or do you have to upload the file in every individual size? I just want the pictures to blow up nicely full-screen but still be able to print a varying amount of sizes. Maybe this is a dumb question and I am overthinking it.

To be honest I have smugmug account. Pro Account Pretty cool.Many options. So far, so good. I cant tell you what the future holds, but it looks easy to use and nice interface. If you learn anything new. Le me know.

Jerry

www.archyval.com

By the way my site is hosted by smugmug...thak a look at it an let me know what you think....honestly...because its new to me as well.

Do you even read peoples posts? Your response had absolutely nothing to do with what I asked. Do you just come on here to try and lure people to your site? I ahve seen you on other threads doing the same thing.

I use Zenfolio but I imagine it is all the same. Upload max resolution, they take care of it from there.

Allan

Awesome. I guess that makes sense. Have you seen downsized prints by them? I mean does it ever cause any issues with sharpening or anything?

I am getting ready to start building a site ( probably going to go with a SmugMug Pro account ). I was curious, when you save your files, do you just save the largest file you are going to sell, and then downsize from that file if someone orders something smaller? Or do you have to upload the file in every individual size? I just want the pictures to blow up nicely full-screen but still be able to print a varying amount of sizes. Maybe this is a dumb question and I am overthinking it.

Hi Taylor, I'm from SmugMug. Upload your full size files, ready to print. Our labs handle the sizing for you. If you have any more questions about prepping for print, we have a team of Pro Concierges standing by at our help desk to assist you, just holler. Thanks!

I take a slightly different approach.

For any sports galleries I initially upload low resolution photos. Normally about 1000px on the long side. I do this to speed up the upload time. I then set a print delay of 2 days, this can be found in the gallery options menu. This gives me time to fully edit the purchased photo and reupload a full resolution fully edited copy. It works great for me because I may have hundreds of photos in a sports gallery and it would take forever to edit all of them before uploading. And, honestly, I'm not going to waste my time editing if they don't sell.

Hope it helps,
Travis

Oops, forgot to mention I am using SmugMug....

Last edited:
I use Zenfolio but I imagine it is all the same. Upload max resolution, they take care of it from there.

Allan

Awesome. I guess that makes sense. Have you seen downsized prints by them? I mean does it ever cause any issues with sharpening or anything?

Not so far, been great. Of course the SmugMug rep here in the thread would have more experience than I with that. On Zenfolio they have all looked great.

Allan

Allan

I use Zenfolio as well. Much like Allan, I upload max resolution and then Zenfolio (via Mpix) takes care of everything. I have printed in every size from 4x6 to 20x20 and everything has looked great.

Allan

I use Zenfolio as well. Much like Allan, I upload max resolution and then Zenfolio (via Mpix) takes care of everything. I have printed in every size from 4x6 to 20x20 and everything has looked great.

Yeah but if they change the aspect ratio they are cropping your pics. who decides on how? I mean 4x6 wouldnt make a 20x20 and vice versa without cutting some off.

Yeah but if they change the aspect ratio they are cropping your pics. who decides on how? I mean 4x6 wouldnt make a 20x20 and vice versa without cutting some off.
You can configure the site the way you want. For example, there's an option called "Best Fit" that would only show your potential customers the best sizes to fit the aspect ratio of a given photo.

Regarding cropping, you can configure it the way you want as well: you could pre-define cropping for each photo so no one ends up with a crop that you don't approve, or otherwise you could leave the cropping up to each customer.

(By the way, my comment above referred to different images :))

Yep, I let the customer decide on the cropping. Since they are the one who worked hard to earn the money they are using to purchase the image, they can crop it any way they want to, I have no problem with it.

Allan

I use pictage.com. Fairly user friendly; no complaints to date.

Most reactions

Back