Question on which Olympus camera to buy.

empressu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello! I asked this on Reddit, but I figured I’d ask here as well. I am a very amateur film photographer as I’m just getting started, but I’ve been researching on which film cameras to use in general and also something that would last me for a long time, and I read up on the Olympus OM-1 camera, which was the one I fell in love with. I’ve also read up on other OM cameras such as the OM-1n, OM-2, etc., but I know that the Olympus OM-1 is something I definitely want to have.

I’ve been looking at Depop for a used model of this particular camera in great condition, and I came across this specific [one] which already has a wide variety of lenses included which I thought was fair for the price. However, after thorough examination of the pictures provided by the seller, it looks like it is actually an Olympus OM-1n camera, which I don’t really mind but I really wanted to own the OM-1 personally despite minimal differences.

I’ve also looked for other OM-1 models being sold and I found this [one] which only has one lens as well as this [one], which only has the Vivitar wide angle lens provided.

My question is, would it be worthwhile if I go for the Olympus OM-1n camera (the first link I showed) instead which includes a variety of lenses, or the other two which are actual OM-1 models but only provides one kind of lenses, and would it be worth it? Or, should I go hunting for more models than the ones I’ve provided here? Also, I would like to hear more from your perspectives between the OM-1n and the OM-1 about specifications, differences, or similarities and which would be a better suited camera for me overall. Thanks!

I wouldn't think the differences between the OM1 and OM1n were worth worrying about. If the camera on offer is in good nick and at a sensible price I would go for that one. An OM1 is certainly a good choice and better than a OM2 or 3 as they are dependent on their electronics while the OM1 is entirely mechanical.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't think the differences between the OM1 and OM1n were worth worrying about. If the camera on offer is in good nick and at a sensible price I would go for that one. An OM1 is certainly a good choice and better than a OM2 or 3 as they are dependent on their electronics while the OM1 is entirely mechanical.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk
Is the OM1n entirely mechanical as well with a couple of improvements from the OM1?

I was using the name 'OM1' generically. Yes, the OM1n is entirely mechanical. The only electrical part is the light meter and the camera will work just fine without the meter - if the meter fails, you will need a hand-held meter of the Sunny 16 rule, but the camera itself will work just fine.

A separate thought - are you aware of the foam light seals on Japanese cameras? With film cameras of the age that the OM series now are, the foam seals turn to goo and need replacing. It is an easy job to do yourself and does not cost too much to pay to have it done. If the part where the back of the camera fits into the body is sticky, the seals need replacing and the seller needs to drop their price. It is quite possible that the seals have been replaced already, but do check for your self.

Just for the record, on any older SLR with fabric shutters, lift the mirror (the OM-1 and OM-1n have a mirror lock-up feature, but other models you may be able to gently lift the mirror with a finger and hold it up) and carefully inspect the curtain material of both curtains (wound and released) for cracking.

On many cameras of this era, the rubberized surface of the curtain material is beginning to dry and crack. Besides checking for cracks visually, you can also manually fire a strobe into the open lens mount with the mirror up, with the shutter wound and also with the shutter released, while watching from the open back in a darkened room. If there are pin holes in the material, you will see a tiny point of light in the focal aperture (the opening between the film rails where the image is created on the film).

Most reactions

Back