Question re: DSLR

munchkin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi. I have been interested in photography for a few years now but have always used point and shoot cameras. I have just purchased a Canon EOS 350d and I have a lot to learn.

I am going to a local park tomorrow to take some photos of a friends 2 year old daughter. Has anyone got any tips for camera settings?

Also, does anyone know of any good photography books so that I can learn how to use my dslr?

Any help would be muchly appreciated ;)

Use manual. Even if you aren't confident in the slightest. Try that for most of the shoot then If you aren't happy with the results you can set it to auto to get some shots that will lease your friend.

I don't think that's really a good time to start trying to learn how to shoot manual. You want to be concentrating on the subject and composition - not your exposure settings.

I'd say put the camera on AV, open the aperture and concentrate on catching all those intimate moments and facial expressions. ;)

It's definitely worth getting comfortable with the other settings (TV/M) so make some time alone that is specifically for learning/practicing with no other agenda.

If you aren't comfortable with making adjustments as you shoot you could use program mode (P) also. Just set your preferences in the parameter part of the menu first and the camera will do the rest...within limits anyway.

And rememer - its digital. You can take 100 shots of the same pinecone without spending the rent money on film developing. So shoot away and experiment!!!!!

I agree with Marctwo..a about av mode and catching the right moments and expressions... practicing Manual can be done in your own time, this is your friends daughter's time to get some good photos taken.

have fun at the park....

Remember to bring along the instruction manual for your camera. I forgot it so many times when first learning, and it would have been very useful when I knew what I watned to do, but didnt' know how to. I am going to have to agree with setting it to AV mode (probably a little more tricky then Program), and just keep an eye on the speed (too make sure it isn't too slow firstly, and then maybe closer to the end you can try a few manual shots). But of course, most of all have fun and make it a learning experience. The 350D is an amazing camera.

Most reactions

Back