Question Regarding Facial Poses for Head Shots

AgentDrex

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is your opinion/advice/insight to "facial poses" when it comes to head shots? What different styles of posing are there available? Do some work better than others? Is the duck-lip look still popular? Would anyone take a business executive seriously with the duck face look? How about different ages of people? Does that matter when it comes to posing the facial features for a photograph?

Here is a recent self-portrait where I came out of my "stoic safe room" and decided to make some sort of face:

6836560065_88cac6467f_z.jpg

And yes girls, I know how and like to kiss...hit me up for my digits...just kidding...leave me alone...I have enough women in my life for now...zero...

And to you photographers, you really like the pinpoint catchlights from the popup flash, don't you, admit it...

Facial expressions are just part of the TOTAL image. For example, if you're going for dramatic look, having your subject looking into the camera and smiling might not be the BEST overall product.
You have to judge the whole image.
As for duck-lip... we live in a different world. I found out the other day that starting out a letter with "To whom it may concern" isn't popular anymore - go figure :greenpbl:

I still do the "To Whom It May Concern, "....I suppose its not popular because the newer generations are headed for "Idiocracy" and it sounds too "queer"...perhaps...wazzup bro works better now days...

Thank you for your insight IgsEMT...very much appreciated...

And to you photographers, you really like the pinpoint catchlights from the popup flash, don't you, admit it...

Well... I don't not even a little bit. Especially when they're at the six o'clock position. Turn off any on camera flash.

This lighting, with the shadows going up, isn't particularly flattering. In fact, it comes off a bit sinister. This lighting is often used to create a spooky look.

Shoot a variety of expressions to give the client a choice.

-Pete

SWEET! I like the sinister look. I think instead of flash for the moment I'm just going to go get some continous lights...and then work on lighting portraits...I like the egg technique...shaping the egg with light to make it look different...

No, I am not the eggman...that is in Pink Flamingos...

Last edited by a moderator:
SWEET! I like the sinister look. I think instead of flash for the moment I'm just going to go get some continous lights...and then work on lighting portraits...I like the egg technique...shaping the egg with light to make it look different...

No, I am not the eggman...that is in Pink Flamingos...

This would actually be really helpful for beginners using either hot lights or flash. Good find, Drex.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've watched it a few times and it may have been linked to here in the past. I'm not really into portraits but I do like to take photos of everything and so it is probably in my best interests to at least gain some sort of rudimentary knowledge of portrait photography. I don't have many people to practice on other than myself. I shoot manually and so it has not been the easiest endeavor to get good focus. I'm coming up with a few tricks but my apparent favorite technique is to pull it out of my butt and fly with it...its good exercise too...take a photo, run to camera, check focus, take another timed photo, run back to place...try to get in the same spot as before (I sometimes just use a sock for remembering placement)...and rinse and repeat...

I actually had a model ask me this while doing a shoot once. She wanted to know what type of facial expression to make or what i might be looking for. Specifically she was wondering if it was okay for her to smile. I told her that we would try a few different poses but that it was okay to smile for some.

I thought for sure I would get more hits on this question as it one I don't see asked very often. Thank you to those that have given input so far. I understand that different situations call for different expressions, but which ones are never okay? Or are there any? Considering I am using myself as a model to photograph when it comes to portraiture, perhaps I should find a modeling forum somewhere and ask there instead. Does anyone know of any good modeling forums? I think I wanna stay away from modelmayhem but perhaps that is indeed where I should go.

Okay, I am definitely NOT doing the modelmayhem place...all I want to do is find an answer. I don't want to have to upload four photos of a specific size and write a bio just to get on to ask a question, there must be a better place for me to ask unless someone here has modeling/photographing models experience...

I've watched it a few times and it may have been linked to here in the past. I'm not really into portraits but I do like to take photos of everything and so it is probably in my best interests to at least gain some sort of rudimentary knowledge of portrait photography. I don't have many people to practice on other than myself. I shoot manually and so it has not been the easiest endeavor to get good focus. I'm coming up with a few tricks but my apparent favorite technique is to pull it out of my butt and fly with it...its good exercise too...take a photo, run to camera, check focus, take another timed photo, run back to place...try to get in the same spot as before (I sometimes just use a sock for remembering placement)...and rinse and repeat...

One trick is to hang a string. Frame it will your eyes will be. Focus. Get into your pose and keep your eyes near the focus point. Remove string and shoot. A shutter release trigger works best. If your lens is auyto focus just do the same as above but choose the focus point that will be on your eye when posed. Use trigger to release shutter.

What I'm going to try next time is hang a picture frame from the ceiling and frame the shot with the picture frame barely not visible. Stick your head in the frame and shoot away.

Thanks jake, I will give that a go as well. I shoot old glass so no autofocus for me. I could think of something like that but apparently I like the exercise. Running back and forth sure burns the calories. Not that I need to lose weight, I'm already so skinny if I were to lose much more weight, I may end up dead.

I like the photo frame idea as well. I guess I'm just trying to figure out what type of looks are alright and which aren't. What I I'll do then I suppose is browse old threads here concerning portraiture and angles. Hopefully I will find some examples of facial expressions generally used. Smiling is always acceptable I guess. But if I were to direct someone to strike a pose, what pose would it be? Do I have them turn and look at the camera, straight-on, lights from bottom, top, side, do I have them put their hands on their chin? These questions are dealing with headshots only as I don't have the inside space to do full body portraits. I'm the only model (I'm not a model) I can practice on and so I'm trying to learn HOW to model. That is the reason for my insufferably stupid questions. The photo in this thread was my lame attempt at modeling. I have absolutely no clue what the heck I'm doing when it comes to modeling. But I sure have quite a few women commenting on it positively. So I guess that is a bonus. I cut my hair by the way so I no longer "look like Jesus":

6588131957_256b9e94f9_b.jpg

Last edited:
I think the facial expressions chosen should be directly connected to the mood your trying to portray. So really there is no right and wrong. Just a matter of if the expression fits the mood your showing.

Most reactions

Back