Question: Studio Lighting + Flash

Scrappy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!

I do quite a bit of photography work for others, but the majority of my work is done outdoors. On the rare occasion I do shoot indoors, I prefer to work with natural window light, with a couple of reflectors maybe. Because of that, I've never ventured into the world of flashes beyond my camera's built-in. I use a Canon Rebel XT (digital).

So, I've long been wanting to set up an informal "studio" at home, mostly for photos of my kids (though I'm sure my friends & family will willingly be my guinea pigs, too). I've got a basic lighting set up on order for Christmas this year, consisting of two balanced fluorescent continuous lights with umbrellas.

I'm wondering, then, would you recommend an additional on-camera flash, also?

Thanks for any advice!

Stop.

Fluorescent is not the way to go. In fact, there's not really any such thing as "balanced fluorescent." Balanced is short for daylight-balanced, which fluorescent is not. In short, shady marketing ploy.

Go for daylight-balanced flash. Continuous light may be cheap but it's about as far from ideal as you can get.

hey, thanks! I guess, then... expand my question to include any suggestions for good, inexpensive, beginner light set up... and what (if any) flash you'd recommend to go with :)

Any personal "bad experiences" with a certain set up would be appreciated, also!

Just want to add something ... I'd seen some examples of a problem with "fluorescent" lightning on the net. In some situation, the shutter speed of your camera is fast enough to create a band on your photos with fluorescent lightning. (Due to flickering - 50Hz or 60Hz AC)

hey, thanks! I guess, then... expand my question to include any suggestions for good, inexpensive, beginner light set up... and what (if any) flash you'd recommend to go with :)

Any personal "bad experiences" with a certain set up would be appreciated, also!

A lighting setup with 2 200w/s gensis flashes with stands and accessories - $319
http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CF0502K1/

Strobist lighting 101 - http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Gensis are pretty much rebranded Elinchrom lights. No slouches at all. That and they're a reliable brand. If you want studio strobes, then that's probably the cheapest way to go. The Strobist link will help you learn about lighting.

That's actually a pretty bangin' deal. Fan cooled, user replaceable tubes....very nice indeed.

I second that particular kit.

That's actually a pretty bangin' deal. Fan cooled, user replaceable tubes....very nice indeed.

I second that particular kit.

And if you want to upgrade to some really high end stuff, you can drop several thousand on Elinchrom's other strobes and not have to "repurchase" modifiers and.

Most reactions

Back