Question thread - Sabbath999 - Zoo photography

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The question for sabbath999's upcomming article on zoo photography.
Please post any questions which relate to the subject and that you would like to be answered by sabbath999.

Please note that there is no guarantee that your question will be answered - also note that the answer might form part of the general article itself so do read it.

Please also keep any general questions about the project as a whole in the thread here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/152561-photographic-q-sessions.html#post1503333

EDIT - the article is now up: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...05-how-take-good-zoo-pictures-sabbath999.html

please feel free to discuess the article and ask any further questions relaiting to it in this thread.

Last edited:
Where would a bloke find this article?

*is now editing first post to make it a bit clearer*
follow the link in the post ;)

What's the best time to visit the zoo?

Are their certain focal lengths/lenses you find yourself using on most trips?

Ok I assume this will be read by the beginners too, so on behalf of them I post the question of how do you cope with shooting through the cages.

well some questions from me;

1) when your going round the zoo what camera mode and typical settings do you use

2) how do you adapt your settings and shooting mode to deal with changing lighting conditions - eg say what differences are there for a bright sunny day as opposed to a heavily overcast day or a rainy day (besides staying at home ;))

How do you deal with the reflections of people when photographing through glass? It has often been the case that I wait and wait for an animal to appear, and my presence attracts people, whose reflections (often of their shoes or shirts) then appear in the glass when I finally take the picture.

How about animals that seemingly hide from you...any tips on how to get them to come out, or look toward you? (Red pandas spring to mind as a 'hard-to-photograph animal.) I certainly wouldn't bang on enclosures or yell, as I have observed some yahoos do. ~~~I remember hearing that some birdwatchers will record the call of birds they want to see/photograph, and then play it back to attract them. Have you ever done anything like that?

Last edited:
last bump before the aticles post goes up - get your questions in quick :)

Zoo Photography and the law. You might cover some of the rights that many zoos own to their property and any images of animals that are taken there?

1. Do you take more than one lens with you to the zoo or try to get by with a single lens?

2. Do you ever use a flash at the zoo (if it's even permitted) and if so do you diffuse the light somehow?

Is there a time of year when the animals are more active?

Most reactions

Back