Question

Mazpro502

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I am shooting moving cars, Whether it be auto cross or a shoot with a friend on the highway, what the best setting for it? I want that moving effect, when the ground looks like its moving, and the wheels on the car are in motion not like they are stopped.

I't called "panning", and it takes some practice. Do a search on the forum for "panning" and you will come up with a bunch of information on it.

There is no one best setting. The only correct answer is - It depends.

The tricky part is getting the right shutter speed to ensure the car wheels are blurred.

To get the right shutter speed, you have to set the right lens aperture and image sensor ISO.

Consequently, you need to be pretty familiar with the exposure triad so you understand how the 3 relate to each other.

In general, the amount of light you have available will determine which ISO setting you use. With ISO the goal is to always use the lowest native ISO setting you can. that minimizes image noise.

Once ISO is set, you adjust the lens aperture and shutter speed. If you need less shutter speed (likely on a bright day) you must make the lens aperture smaller so it lets in less light. If you need more shutter speed you must open the lens aperture. However, there are physical limits to how small and how large the lens aperture can be made. So, it depends what camera and lens you are using.

In bright daylight you may need to add a dark filter to the front of the lens to help reduce the amount of light the lens lets in.

I know how to get everything in the picture blurry. When I do that I just call it art and move on to the next shot.

So basically read up and for the most part trial and error...

A lot of it is down to technique,another thing to think about is ho fast is the car going, Technique= shutter priority, good stance elbows tight to your side and follow the car nice and smooth as you press the shutter follow though like a golf swing without moving the camera up or down
This car was doing about 80mph so i used a 1/125 you will need to start higher when you get nice focused shots start to lower the shutter speed
And before someone says good equipment helps all 3 were taken with an old Canon 10D
191656013_NbYQm-L.jpg

This shot was taken on a corner so the car was slower so i used 1/30 but i would start at 1/160 and lower it as you get better
191656456_9nUjp-L.jpg

Drop down to 1/20 and they start to get interesting
191658964_pmEzb-L.jpg

Last edited:
That looks awesome! I go to a lot of car races and always Photog friend auto crossing so this will be awesome once I get it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back