Question

wvsmphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Have a D3100 can anyone explain the auto ISO setting in the ISO sensitivity settings I'm not sure of what it does if it should be set and what it should be set to or if it should be on at all

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

ISO is how sensitive the sensor is to light. Lower settings=less sensitive. Higher number=more sensitive.
If you are in a darker situation and your camera can't get proper exposure you'd raise your ISO to a higher number.
HOWEVER... there are THREE elements to getting exposure and you really need to learn about all 3.
Each control light and they also control another element. ISO controls light and noise or grain in the image. The higher the ISO the more light will be recorded or you can shoot in darker situations BUT the image will be prone to noise or grain.
Shutter speed is how fast or slow the shutter opens and closes. Open a long time=lots of light flows in. Shutter open a long time also means you or your subject could move in that time and that is recorded as blur.
Aperture is how large the opening in the lens is more open lens=more light. It also means a much shallower depth of field or depth of focus.

www.digital-photography-school has some great tutorials on the exposure triangle and using it creatively.

I like the auto iso on my D3100. I think I have the max set on 800. Check out kenrockwell.com . He has a D3100 users guide with recommended settings. I think it's a good starting point.

MLeeK thank you but you missed the question I was wanting to know more about the ISO sensitivity settings as I am familiar with ISO and the exposure triangle but the Nikon D3100 has additional ISO settings

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

Auto ISO simply means if the shutter speed is low, the camera will raise the ISO so an acceptable shutter speed is reached.

See if maybe Ken Rockwell's breakdown of the d3100 helps you: Nikon D3100

Most reactions

New Topics

Back