Questions about Canon 5d and 1Ds MKII

SamSpade1941

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, I have a quick question concerning Canon's since I am most definitely NOT a Canon user and need informed opinions concerning this matter. The prices on the 5D and the 1Ds MK II have come down substantially since they are older cameras now, and are within my price range. The reason I am looking at one is because they are full frame sensor cameras and they have the ability to go down to ISO 50. They should be able to give me much higher quality images for landscape work and the odd portrait that I do on occasion over my DX format sensor Nikons. My primary motivation is cost . I will not be buying a huge stable of lenses, it will be one or two at most, again my only motivation for looking at all is the fact that the D700 is still out of my price range and probably will be for a while.

Ok, I have a quick question concerning Canon's since I am most definitely NOT a Canon user and need informed opinions concerning this matter. The prices on the 5D and the 1Ds MK II have come down substantially since they are older cameras now, and are within my price range. The reason I am looking at one is because they are full frame sensor cameras and they have the ability to go down to ISO 50. They should be able to give me much higher quality images for landscape work and the odd portrait that I do on occasion over my DX format sensor Nikons. My primary motivation is cost . I will not be buying a huge stable of lenses, it will be one or two at most, again my only motivation for looking at all is the fact that the D700 is still out of my price range and probably will be for a while.

Ummmm, what exactly is *the quick question* you have? You've not actually asked any questions.

So what's your question?

I thought about buying a 5d just for the hell of it. It's a nice imager.

Ummmm, what exactly is *the quick question* you have? You've not actually asked any questions.

Sorry thats what happens when you are trying to talk on the phone and compose messages at the same time on the interwebs.

Would I be just as well served to buy a D300 another crop sensor or buy a 5D or a 1Ds MKII ? The full frame sensors of those Canon's should give me better quality images yes?

Thanks Derrel for getting me back on track .

Sorry thats what happens when you are trying to talk on the phone and compose messages at the same time on the interwebs. Would I be just as well served to buy a D300 another crop sensor or buy a 5D or a 1Ds MKII ? The full frame sensors of those Canon's should give me better quality images yes? Thanks Derrel for getting me back on track .

What crop sensor do you have right now? How tied in are you to nikon?

Sorry thats what happens when you are trying to talk on the phone and compose messages at the same time on the interwebs. Would I be just as well served to buy a D300 another crop sensor or buy a 5D or a 1Ds MKII ? The full frame sensors of those Canon's should give me better quality images yes? Thanks Derrel for getting me back on track .

What crop sensor do you have right now? How tied in are you to nikon?

Two D200 cameras one is a life pixel IR conversion and all my lenses are Nikon. So I am not really wanting to switch over , as I said earlier it would be one of the mentioned bodies and one or two lenses at most. If I go the Canon FF route.

Two D200 cameras one is a life pixel IR conversion and all my lenses are Nikon. So I am not really wanting to switch over , as I said earlier it would be one of the mentioned bodies and one or two lenses at most. If I go the Canon FF route.

Check KEH- they have d700's for less than 1500 IIRC.

It depends on your budget. The link Derrel showed is useful but I will say this... Not everyone needs full frame but it sure is nice. Realllly nice lol.

Canon EF-S lenses will not mount on a 5D or a 1Ds MK II.

There is a big difference in the AF capabilities between the 5D and the 1Ds MK II.

Check KEH- they have d700's for less than 1500 IIRC.

It depends on your budget. The link Derrel showed is useful but I will say this... Not everyone needs full frame but it sure is nice. Realllly nice lol.

That is essentially the problem, and why I said if I buy a used FF camera it would be one of those mentioned both can be had for less than 1500. I am not a pro, and I am not deriving a substantial portion of my income from my hobby. Therefore I buy used equipment older than what most others are using, So I am looking at either a D300 , a Canon 5D or 1Ds MK II.

Canon EF-S lenses will not mount on a 5D or a 1Ds MK II.

There is a big difference in the AF capabilities between the 5D and the 1Ds MK II.

I appreciate the heads up . Thanks

Just so you know, at my local pro store, they have a 5D Mark II with accessories for $1395, and a Canon 1Ds Mark III (Mark Three) for $1395. In the "real world", meaning not at B&H Photo, and not at Adorama, and not at Samy's in Los Angeles, and not from KEH.com, those two very nice cameras are worth less than $1400 at walk-in retail.

Nikon D3 with accessories, $1800. Nikon D3x, $2875.

Compare these "real-world" prices to those of The Big Five on-line.

Pro Photo Supply - Used Photography Equipment, Used Cameras, Used Video and Used Lenses in Portland OR

Just so you know, at my local pro store, they have a 5D Mark II with accessories for $1395, and a Canon 1Ds Mark III (Mark Three) for $1395. In the "real world", meaning not at B&H Photo, and not at Adorama, and not at Samy's in Los Angeles, and not from KEH.com, those two very nice cameras are worth less than $1400 at walk-in retail. Nikon D3 with accessories, $1800. Nikon D3x, $2875. Compare these "real-world" prices to those of The Big Five on-line. Pro Photo Supply - Used Photography Equipment, Used Cameras, Used Video and Used Lenses in Portland OR

They gotta update their site more lol

I called and was going to buy their pocket wizard set and it was gone within in a day. Nice people and knowledgeable.

Just so you know, at my local pro store, they have a 5D Mark II with accessories for $1395, and a Canon 1Ds Mark III (Mark Three) for $1395. In the "real world", meaning not at B&H Photo, and not at Adorama, and not at Samy's in Los Angeles, and not from KEH.com, those two very nice cameras are worth less than $1400 at walk-in retail.

Nikon D3 with accessories, $1800. Nikon D3x, $2875.

Compare these "real-world" prices to those of The Big Five on-line.

Pro Photo Supply - Used Photography Equipment, Used Cameras, Used Video and Used Lenses in Portland OR

Thanks for the link I have them bookmarked. I had no idea such a awesome store existed in Portlandia, next time I go to visit family out that way I will make a special trip there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back