Questions about flashes

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First I own a Nikon D7000.
I am considering getting a flash.
I can tell you right now it will see very little use if at all.
A good friend of mine bought a good Canon flash for his 5DII and he used it only once.
I still want to have a flash because at home I just dont have good ligting and sometime a flash might come in handy.
I admit I dont know much about a flash and I really dont want to spend much on one, I simply rather spend money on accessories that are more important and usable for me.

So I saw there are lots of after market flashes and I want to know how different after market flashes from original Nikon flashes ?
I am sure build quality is one important difference but for me its not a big deal again because it probably get very little use.
Complex functions and added control might be another but again for a casual user like me extra functions will be a waist.

So after this long introduction can I ask what is the difference and original and after market basically do same service ?

look into Yongnuo flashes. There are various models on ebay and a few of them have ttl. They are generally ok and a fraction of the nikon/canon flash. I have a yn465 which was about 60 euro and it works well. There are more fancy better versions with build being not as good as the expensive ones but not bad.

look into Yongnuo flashes. There are various models on ebay and a few of them have ttl. They are generally ok and a fraction of the nikon/canon flash. I have a yn465 which was about 60 euro and it works well. There are more fancy better versions with build being not as good as the expensive ones but not bad.

Thank you for the reply.

What is TTL and how important is it to have TTL in the flash ?

"TTL" in this case refers to "Through The Lens" flash metering; that is: The ability of the camera and flash together to produce a [more or less] correctly exposed flash-illuminated image without any input from the photographer. In short: Flash in auto. How important it is, is up to you. Many photographers initially find the concept of 'auto flash' enticing, but, in much the same way that most grow to prefer the semi-auto modes and full manual, once they've learned how to shoot flash in manual, they much prefer the results. All of that aside, I always recommend that people have at least one TTL-capable flash in their bag for those occasions when you just don't have the time to think about each shot.

Hello

I have D7000 also

I got my SB700 2 years ago and works as new ( more that 50 000 pictures made with flash )

Do NOt buy SB600 for D7000 .....it will not work properly...

I recomend original Products - they are better & offer better support

SB700 & SB910 are good options

Regarding TTL - buy a TTL , it will worth every penny !!!!

Kind Regards

Sounds like I need a flash with TTL.

Does the TTL works only when camera is in Auto mode or will it work when camera is in Manual, Apature or Shutter mode ?

Hello

I have D7000 also

I got my SB700 2 years ago and works as new ( more that 50 000 pictures made with flash )

Do NOt buy SB600 for D7000 .....it will not work properly...

I recomend original Products - they are better & offer better support

SB700 & SB910 are good options

Regarding TTL - buy a TTL , it will worth every penny !!!!

Kind Regards

In what way does the SB-600 not work properly? It works fine for me, both on and off camera.

You say you wont use it much but a flash will defiantly improve your photos once you learn to use it, even in good light.

Have a look at Metz, they have been in the flash businesses for awhile and produce excellent strobes.

Does the TTL works only when camera is in Auto mode or will it work when camera is in Manual, Apature or Shutter mode ?

Canon user here, but your flash should work in any mode. Having the flash in auto mode only means that the flash and camera determine the flash power automatically. It will work whether you have the camera in auto, semi auto or full manual.

Save your money and get one that doesn't work.

I use my flash and I like it a lot, but since you don't plan to use one, you can just get a broken one which will save you quite a bit of money.

Canon user here, but your flash should work in any mode. Having the flash in auto mode only means that the flash and camera determine the flash power automatically. It will work whether you have the camera in auto, semi auto or full manual.

Got it, thank you for that info.
I will go to the camera shop in my area and ask to see a Metz and other third party flashes who work with the camera TTL

Save your money and get one that doesn't work.

I use my flash and I like it a lot, but since you don't plan to use one, you can just get a broken one which will save you quite a bit of money.

Not funny :( thanks anyways

My comment was intended to make you think. Why are you looking for a flash if you don't intend to use it?

My comment was intended to make you think. Why are you looking for a flash if you don't intend to use it?
I do intend to use it but not a lot, so I am not interested to buy an expensive flash just somethng to help me when I need it once in a blue moon.

Light is fundamental to photography and a flash, a controllable and reliable source of light, is an essential tool for any photographer. We see quite a few images presented for C&C from photographers touting the use of 'available light' only. Without being too harsh a great majority of those images are flat and uninspiring and would have been greatly improved with a touch of extra light applied in a controlled manner. A reliable good quality flash able to interface with your camera is as important as having a decent lens to bring your photography up a notch or two.

Light is fundamental to photography and a flash, a controllable and reliable source of light, is an essential tool for any photographer. We see quite a few images presented for C&C from photographers touting the use of 'available light' only. Without being too harsh a great majority of those images are flat and uninspiring and would have been greatly improved with a touch of extra light applied in a controlled manner. A reliable good quality flash able to interface with your camera is as important as having a decent lens to bring your photography up a notch or two.
What a wise person you are-you just made me want a flash even more!

Thank you!

Most reactions

Back