Questions about Holga

sillyphaunt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bugshots.net
In our Advanced Photography class we have an assignment coming up that needs to be a photography "experiment". I have seen Holga's talked about quite a bit on here, and I love the photographs that I've seen. I think I could qualify using a Holga as an experimental thing, so I was wondering if I bought one, which is the best place to buy from.. and do you think as a newbie to shooting Holga would I be able to get anything usable from it?

The point is not to get great shots, but just to experiment, so even if the experiment fails, I will be okay.

Thanks!

with holga, the best place would probably be B and H or adorama, there are other sites, but those are my fav. youll get usable stuff, it might have light leaks streaked across it, which in others eyes, lead to make it an even more unique look. i tend to agree. ask P bailey and terry and orie what they think. im sure they will be along in a minute.

yell holga and all the pale skinned darkroomies come out to play... :wink:

md

I've heard a lot of people say good things about holgamods.com. I got mine off of Ebay. :) Ask Terri and Orie...they would know best! (actually, they will probably be in here shortly, seeing the word "holga" in the subject of the thread! :)

EDIT: I just realized I said almost the same thing as MD did! :)

http://www.holgamods.com/index.html is the place to find the Holga with all the goodies, but you can find them all over the place. MD mentioned B&H or adorama. They are both prime dealers and Correy mentioned ebay as an option too. It all depends on who you like, how fast ya need it, and how much yer willing to spend. I think mine came from B&H. When ya get it, do an archive search here at TPF for the Holga threads to find out the steps to getting it set up properly for the unique shots. Happy shooting!!! :wink:

(whahaahaha!!! I did they same thing that C-17 did. maybe someone else will recap my post. :D)

I bought mine from holgamods and am very happy. :sillysmi:

Avoiding light leaks is easy. Use black cloth tape over the back and along the sides. Sometimes they can add a dimension to an image, but you never know if it will look good or bad, so why risk it? When you score a nice Holga image, you get that warm runny feeling inside. :D

I've used 400 speed B&W film with good results. I've seen killer color shots with lower ISOs, too (the camera itself couldn't care less). Just remember to remove the cap and everything will be all right.

[sigh] It's awful to be so predictable....but I was drawn here like honey to a bee.... :p

Most reactions

Back