Questions about some screw ups...

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
#1:
025.jpg

When you are shooting into a setting sun, is there any way to get rid of that glare other than just not shooting towards the sun? Like any settings you can change or anything?

#2:
027.jpg

I think this one came out okay but I know there are some flaws... It's a picture of a baby tree (sorry, don't know the official name lol) in my yard and I took a picture of it from near the top down towards the snow... I am thinking maybe I should have focused in on the branches that were closest to me instead of the branches in the middle?

I am still learning, so yes these pics are up for serious C&C or just advice on how I can do things differently to make things look better... Believe me when I say I am a BEGINNER!!!

Oh, and these were shot with a Canon XS...

The first shot was shot at 1/320 (shutter speed I think) and f/14 (that was before I realized the aperture was so high), and I believe ISO at that point was at 1000...

The second shot was at 1/320, f/14 (again before I realized the aperture was high...) and a lower ISO I think...

Both shots were done with the exposure compensation at +1... Someone here told me when shooting snow to shoot "a little to the right" and i figured out that was what they meant (the exposure comp) :)

I'm getting there... I think ;)

When shooting toward a bright light source, it's common to get flare like that. If you are shooting with the light actually in the frame, there isn't much you can do about it...but in this case, you probably could have block it out. A lens hood might have worked, but you could also have held out your hand (or anything really) to block the sunlight from hitting the lens directly. You would probably be able to see the difference, right in the viewfinder.

Any kind of suggestions or anything on the second one??

I'm sorry again if I am wasting anyones time.

Stop apologizing! lol. I'm pretty sure the whole purpose of this site is to discuss photos and assist people with questions, no one is forcing them to read it. :p

My amatuer opinion would be to suggest a lens filter of some sort to help reduce glare but I'm not that knowledgeable about them yet.

I apologize a lot. Sor... Oops lol

For #2, it's just not interesting. I'm not even sure how you could make a "baby tree" interesting, though I'm sure there are ways. The different branches in focus and out of focus is distracting. I could concentrate on only a few if possible. Or if there is a flowering bud or something on one branch, maybe focus on that? I'll 2nd the "stop apologizing". No one's going to bite your head off (because literally, they can't) I have a sister in law that does that when she speaks and it's very annoying at times ;) Keep practicing!

#1: NEVER EVER use any lens attachment you don't have to use, including UV "protection" filters. Also, always use a good lens hood. When using zoom lenses, the manufacturer's standard hood is often a poor choice when shooting at anything other than the wider focal lengths. You often need to use a hood made for a longer focal length so that it comes closer to blocking the light just outside of the frame even though such a hood vignettes at wider focal lengths. Using prime lenses (non-zoom) with their mated hoods is the other approach.

#2: Getting enough depth of field (DOF) with a slightly long focal length to get everything in focus in a close shot like this is nearly impossible. Focusing on a point somewhat closer that half-way between the closest and furthest objects you want sharp is the best starting point. Focusing at the halfway point is never the best. The small aperture (f/14) helped, but as you can see wasn't enough on its own. While you are still learning, try bracketing for focus (several shots focused at different points) to see how each works.

Thank you for the advice Dwig :) I appreciate it :)

Next chance I get to steal the camera, I will definitely play more with the focus...

I did start experimenting with focusing manually instead of using autofocus, but didn't do too hot :/

I did start experimenting with focusing manually instead of using autofocus, but didn't do too hot :/
Because of auto focus, today's cameras don't have the type of focusing screen that facilitates manual focusing.

However, there are 3rd party focusing screens available that do.

i went through a recent phase of browsing photography on the chinese social-networking site http://hi.baidu.com ..something i noticed - there seems to be a popular trend among many chinese photographers to shoot moody candids (eg of people roaming around meadows/beaches) fairly directly into the sun. it can be beautiful and effective - especially using uncoated or single-coating, low-contrast lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back