Questions about Sony a57

Newerabs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello! New to this forum. I'm very close to buying a dSLR and for a long time my heart was set on the Nikon d5100. A friend told me to check out Sony's line of dSLR's as he has used one for years and loves it (he currently has the a55). I had not even thought about checking out Sony so I went to my local Best Buy where they had the a57 on display. I spent about a half-hour testing it out and fell in love with it. The fast shutter speed was something that just blew me away and with kids that is something that I need to have. And the photo quality was on par with what I was seeing on the Nikon. So from a photography stand point I love what this camera can do. The problem I'm having is that I don't just do photography I do a lot of video. Specifically, I do a lot video for my church (interviews, promo videos, announcements, people worship etc). One of the things that is a must for me is being able to preview the audio visually (normally some sort of a volume gauge on the screen) and also through headphones. I almost always use an external mic to capture audio and love that the a57 has a mic input. I also love the video quality that I took and I've seen on YouTube with video tests. And auto AF is another plus. But I need a way to preview the audio and I don't see a headphone input like I do on the Canon's. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea on how to possibly get some headphones attached to this camera! I'm really wanting to buy it but this would be a deal breaker for me. Please help!! :)

Kolia

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Other than the built in speaker, I don't think you'll be able to plug any headphones.

jfrabat

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Although not even close to being in the same ballpark, the A99 is the best for serious video shooting (and a great camera as well)...

brunerww

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Newerabs - I agree with you - the $648 Sony A57 is an awesome camera at a great price for stills and video - but not very many DSLR/DSLT/DSLM-style hybrid still/video cameras have headphone jacks. This is a new feature for this type of camera. As of today, there are only 7 of them. All were released this year (2012), most cost a lot of money, and none are less than $1000.

Here they are in order of decreasing price.

DSLR: Canon 1D C, $11,999

DSLR: Nikon D4, $5,997

DSLR: Canon 5D Mark III, $2,975

DSLT: Sony A99, $2,798

DSLR: Nikon D800, $2,797

DSLR: Nikon D600, $1,997

DSLM: Panasonic GH3, $1,298

Sadly, the only workaround for cameras without headphone jacks is to buy an external recorder with a headphone jack and sync your sound in post. Too much work for me :)

If you want a capable still/video camera with a headphone jack for less than $1000, you'll have to get a camcorder like the $699 Panasonic X900. I have this camera's older brother, the TM900, and it is a great camcorder that is also a good still camera.

Here is a picture I took with the TM900:

$M1000018.JPG

I also own the Panasonic GH3. I couldn't afford those other cameras, and I will not buy a "video" camera without a headphone jack. Its full-resolution continuous still frame rate is "only" 6fps (compared to the A57's blazing 12fps), but the video is much better than the A57's. Here is an example:

[video=vimeo;55219894]http://vimeo.com/55219894[/video]

Take a look at other GH3 videos on vimeo to see what this camera is capable of.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend this camera as the best hybrid still/video camera on the market.

Hope this is helpful and best of the holidays!

Bill

Most reactions

New Topics