What's new

Questions about UV filter

dalex100

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 13, 2011
Messages
158
Reaction score
8
Location
Montreal
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I just got my first lens filter, my friend told me that it would protect my lens. So I bought it. I was wondering if I can wash the lens filter or clean it? You know, with the little tissue that comes with my glasses.
 
^^^The video....Had it been a Nikon lens, the hammer would've shattered
iconstirthepot.gif
 
Please do use a multi coated high quality skylight filter on your lens, and DO NOT listen to people who tell you not to. Either these people are Pros or have wads of money on them to buy new lenses. These guys have never experienced an actual accident where a filter or a lens hood has protected a lens. Also always use a lens hood - plastic or the collapsible rubber type. For your occasional $ 1000 shot, do remove the filter if you must.
I agree that all filters WILL affect picture quality. But it is infinitesimal and hardly noticeable if you use a high quality filter. Take courage and DO USE A GOOD FILTER.
 
There's a long long long long LONG thread on whether or not to use a filter.

I use filters (I am the minority)... but

1) I buy the highest quality filters.
2) I don't use lens caps.. ever.
3) I like that I can quickly wipe off my lens with my shirt, paper towel, tie, jacket, sleeve, pants, jeans, even my thumb and get back to shooting. Dirt, sand, grime, whatever.... not a single thought or worry comes to mind that I am scratching the front element.
4) It is removed when I know flaring is possible (shooting into a light source). Replace afterwards.
5) My lenses are expensive... (I can't replace them easily)

I've also had the unfortunate incident of dropping a lens. In this particular case, the filter did take the brunt and saved the lens (still needed to repair the aperture ring).
 
I think if there's been a "long long long long LONG thread on wether or not to use a filter", that means it's just a personal choice. There's way too many people defending each side... So... who are you going to believe?
Just do some reading and make your own opinion.
 
I think if there's been a "long long long long LONG thread on wether or not to use a filter", that means it's just a personal choice. There's way too many people defending each side... So... who are you going to believe?
Just do some reading and make your own opinion.

Just like any other decision.. its a personal preference. Take in both sides and decide.
 
Actually, there is no empirical evidence a UV/clear filter ever 'protected' a front lens element, but there has been empirical evidence of a broken 'protective' filter damaging a front lens element.

No doubt many 'protective' filter have been broken, but inferring that that breakage 'protected' the front lens element is spurious.
 
Dont know kmh.... continuous cleaning of the front with anything but a lens cloth in my mind is "protecting". Not to mention the lens I dropped. Anyway... you stick to no filters and Ill stick to mine.
 
I bought some pricy glass and they've never seen a condom nor a "protective" filter, but state farm insurance has my back anyway
bigthumb.gif
 
Anything that's gonna bust up a filter is going to do damage to the front element.

I prefer the filter so I don't have to worry about scratching the lens when I clean. I figure I can screw up a whole lotta filters before I've paid for a scratched lens.
 
Anything that's gonna bust up a filter is going to do damage to the front element.

I prefer the filter so I don't have to worry about scratching the lens when I clean. I figure I can screw up a whole lotta filters before I've paid for a scratched lens.

This is exactly my theory... I don't expect any impact protection (hoods are nice for that to a certain extent), It's all about protecting from abrasion. Especially when shooting outside in blowing dust, or in an active kitchen with splattering stir fry, etc... I like being able to wipe the filter down with a t-shirt and not worry if I'm scratching a $500 front element.

I do take my filters off if I think they'll flare however. Some lenses get along with them better than others, and practically never flare... others I know I need to pull the filter any time there's direct, non-reflected light entering the lens.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom