Quick D810 review

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So my D810 finally arrived.
It's a lot better than I expected.
I'm upgrading from a D700 that I've used for over 4 years.
The first thing I noticed was the sound. The shutter sound is amazing. It's very solid like the door of an expensive luxury car.
the back LCD is aaaaamazing. I've no idea why but the LCD on the back of my camera seems superior to my iMac. The ergonomics are great as to be expected. The autofocus lives up to its expectation.

Funny that it is made in Thailand though. I thought that the high end stuff was made in Japan.
My 70-200 VRII produces sharp images on the camera but Summer time haze is really showing.
My 50/1.4G is a completely rubbish lens...will get the Sigma ART version someday.

I upgraded to Lightroom 5.6 so RAW works perfectly now. I tried profiling it using colour checker but the colour profile seems rather off. I will try again tomorrow. RAW files are about 75MB a piece.
I plan to get the vertical grip as soon as my bank account recovers.

Will update as I run the camera through its paces. I need to be 100% confident of its quirks before I use it for a paid job.

Aaaaaaah die of envy. The sigma art is legitimately good. Back ordered till sept. I have more pressing upgrade needs. Thunderbolt based raid system.

That's so funny! The first thing I thought when my D800 arrived was how beastly and awesome the shutter sounds... #gearnerd

$DSC_0825-Edit.jpg
Here's a quick sample from the first portrait session I just did with my camera.

Last edited:
Funny that it is made in Thailand though. I thought that the high end stuff was made in Japan.

Interesting, I wonder why? The D800/D800E was manufactured in Japan? I wonder if their still trying to recoup from the 2011 tsunami that hit Japan and crippled their manufacturing plant?

Interesting, I wonder why? The D800/D800E was manufactured in Japan? I wonder if their still trying to recoup from the 2011 tsunami that hit Japan and crippled their manufacturing plant?

They're avoiding the team that made the D600. I have a coworker who is onto her 4th replacement from Nikon Canada.

They're avoiding the team that made the D600. I have a coworker who is onto her 4th replacement from Nikon Canada.

Even more interesting.

$DSC_1182-2.jpg$DSC_1182.jpg
Testing the autofocus tracking ability.
Lens is a 70-200 f/2.8 VRII
100% crop on left.

Most reactions

Back