What's new

Quick help needed ... need a Canon film camera

Leftyplayer

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
157
Reaction score
5
Location
New York
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I need to quickly purchase a film Canon camera that can fit the Canon EFS 18-55mm kit lense. I see many listed on ebay, but don't know if any canon film would fit the kit lense ... and, while I'm at it, might as well get something that's not too shabby. But I do want to stick to under $100 as I'm unlikely to use it much.

Thanks.
 
Last edited:
These are some of the ones I'm seeing around .... EOS Elan IIE, Rebel, AE-1, Rebel G, T70, EOS 650

Any thoughts on any of these? I know NOTHING about Canon film cameras (I use digital) - thank you for any guidance.
 
There are no film cameras that are compatible with Canon EF-S lenses. The EF-S lenses are made to work with only the Canon digital SLR cameras that have an APS-C sized sensor.

To put it another way, even if the lenses did fit onto Canon EOS film cameras, the image that the lens projects into the camera, wouldn't cover the film.
 
the EF-S mount is deeper than the EF mount, so it physically can't be used on EF bodies as it would interfere with mirror operation. Apparently some folk have managed it using extension tubes, but i've no idea how feasible this is


 
Thanks for that. Good to know. I'm cool with buying the film camera WITH a lense that fits it then, as I do need to do a film project. Any suggestions on the cheapo/ ebay route?
 
well personally i'd be inclined to go old-school, with something like an AE1 Program. Manual film advance, manual focus, but cracking wee camera. Plenty on ebay for round the $100 mark, complete with anything from 50 1.4 to 35-70 zoom! that'd be my choice.
 
How about an old Russian (Leica copy) i have a Zorki4 great fun to use and the 50mm lens on it is very sharp, this was shot wide open at F2
You will also need a hand held meter which will teach you alot about light
715422011_WXk8n-M.jpg
 
How about an old Russian (Leica copy) i have a Zorki4 great fun to use and the 50mm lens on it is very sharp, this was shot wide open at F2
You will also need a hand held meter which will teach you alot about light

That's not a bad idea actually, how light reacts and moves is one of the most overlooked parts of photography sometimes i think.
 
Thanks for the suggestions ... will look into both of those ( AE1 Program and Zorki 4)
 
If you already have Canon EOS gear (you mentioned the EF-S 18-55mm), then I'd suggest getting a Canon EOS film body. You could probably get something in the Rebel family, with a 28-70mm lens for $100 or less. It may not be as hip as an old manual camera, it it would probably be in better working order and any lens that works with a film EOS, will also work with a digital EOS.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom