quick question about flashes

swmocity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
how important is the wide panel the pulls down on the flash...mines came off but its still under warranty...i already checked with canon and they will fix it for free...BUT i wont be without my flash for atleast a week...is it really that important to have it?

edit i have another question also...i think i read somewhere that the flash acts different depending on which mode the camera is in...like in AV mode the flash acts as a main source of light...and in manual it acts as a fill flash? is this correct im still having trouble understand flash

Last edited:
It's a way to diffuse the light without having another modifier, rather than a bare flash. If you bought it local, see if the shop will give you a loaner while it's out. Nevertheless, I would have it repaired if it was mine.

Ditto; if it was mine, I'd get it repaired. Even though I hardly ever use it.

It's a way to diffuse the light without having another modifier, rather than a bare flash. If you bought it local, see if the shop will give you a loaner while it's out. Nevertheless, I would have it repaired if it was mine.
i wish...i purchased it from amazon.com

The panel is really only for when you are using a lens that is wider than 17mm on your camera (wider than 24mm on full frame)...otherwise the flash wouldn't cover the angle of view that the lens sees. It does not soften the light at all. Even though I sometimes use my 10-22mm lens with flash, I rarely pull the wide panel out.

That being said, I'd still get it fixed. The position of the panel can affect the auto zooming of the flash head. For example, if the panel isn't inserted all the way, the flash will lock itself on it's widest zoom setting. People often find that the flash isn't zooming and they can't figure it out...the culprit is usually that the panel is only 95% back into position.

......edit I have another question also...I think I read somewhere that the flash acts different depending on which mode the camera is in...like in AV mode the flash acts as a main source of light...and in manual it acts as a fill flash? Is this correct I'm still having trouble understand flash
Manual mode for the camera or the flash? Pop-up flash or a Speedlight on the hot shoe?

This kind of stuff is covered fairly well in a camera's users manual when it comes to using the pop-up, and explaining how flash TTL works.

i have another question also...i think i read somewhere that the flash acts different depending on which mode the camera is in...like in AV mode the flash acts as a main source of light...and in manual it acts as a fill flash? is this correct im still having trouble understand flash
In auto mode (P), the camera will not let the shutter speed get any lower than 1/60 (or something close to that). So when the light level is lower, it uses flash to make up what it needs for the exposure. The result of this is that you will often get shots of people that look like they are in a dark cave. Basically, the flash becomes the primary light source.

When you put the camera into Av or Tv mode, the camera will give you an exposure for the ambient light (as if no flash is used) and when the flash is used, it's more of a fill light than the main light. This can give you more 'natural' looking flash photos but you can run into the problem of shutter speeds being too slow, which can still give you blur if the ambient light is bright enough.

With the camera in manual mode, you have control over the ambient exposure and the flash will give you exposure to match the aperture setting that you are at.

In any mode, you can use FEC to adjust the exposure of the flash (in E-TTL).

If you want to read all about it, check out the Canon Flash Bible.

Most reactions

Back