Quick Question on D40

ncstater1919

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If i decide to buy a d40, can i still use the Vibration reduction lenses?

Thanks!

Compatible lenses:

Nikon F mount with AF coupling and AF contacts Type G or D AF Nikkor
1) AF-S, AF-I: All functions supported
2) Other Type G or D AF Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus
3) PC Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D: Can only be used in mode M; all other functions supported except autofocus
4) Other AF Nikkor*1/AI-P Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II
5) Non-CPU: Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster
6) IX Nikkor lenses cannot be used
*1. Excluding lenses for F3AF

and yes VR lenses can be used. Any f mount lens with its own motor will work, otherwise you will have to use it in manual.

Yep, VR works absolutely fine with the D40. The only thing you should be wary about is if the lens isn't "AF-S" or "AF-I" (older version of AF-S), then it won't be able to autofocus. All other functions work fine, though. Also, if you get any older lenses (AI-type) you can only use them in Manual Mode.

But if you just stick with AF-S lenses or their equivalent (Sigma HSM, for instance), everything will work perfectly.

So AF-S will do everything perfectly? it will auto focus and manually focus?

Depending on the lens, you can either have a switch that controls either auto (A) or manual-focus (M) (e.g. the 18-55mm kit lens) or, on the more advanced lenses (e.g. the 18-200mm VR), Autofocus with Manual Override (M/A) and Manual (M) focusing. The Manual override basically means that any time, you can grab the focus ring and start manual focusing. While it is a handy feature for sure, I'm fine with flicking the switch on my 18-55 when I want to manual focus.

Most reactions

Back