Quick Question

zachsilvey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am fairly new to photography. I have been using a camera that is at least 4 years old and I thing it is time to move up and get a DSLR. I on a 16 year olds budget and am looking at either a Nikon D40, Sony A200, or a Canon Digital Rebel XT. Which of those is going to be able to grow with me.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Grow with you". Camera bodies can't be upgraded. What you've got is what you've got. All of those listed will allow you to take very good quality pictures for a long time to come. I would suggest that your best plan is to go to a local camera store and handle each of them, discuss their features, pros and cons with a salesman and make your decision based on that. Certainly if you have a specific question, "Does the D40 have...." or "Can the A200 do ..." someone can help you, but the age-old "Which one" question is one that only you can answer.

Good luck.

by "grow with me" i mean it is beginner friendly but can also be a serious camera.

by "grow with me" i mean it is beginner friendly but can also be a serious camera.

I think you'll find them all fairly similar in their level of complexity; obviously each brand organizes controls and menus differently, and groups different functions together, but overall, I think all of them are suitable for the entry level amateur, but robust enough to serve you for quite some time.

i have heard so many good things about the d40 probably because there are so many nikon fanboys. but will i have a problem when buying new lenses because of the af motor not being in the body.

Both cameras are really good for start, and you would be able to use them a long time even after and upgrade, as a backup camera ;)

I would suggest the canon simply because of that AF motor thingie. This is only if you want to grow as a photographer and maybe make some money too. If you want a camera which makes better photos than a compact camera, than the D40 with 2 lenses will be enough for a long time :)

*Cough* Nikon and sony suck *Cough*

Seriously. Hold all of them, and see how they feel. I personally would lean towards the Nikon, or the Canon.

Why not get the XTi body? They've recently come down in price because of the 450D. I got one on a 13 yr old's budget. Skip the kit lenses and buy a lens which you'll find suitable.

Most reactions

Back