Quick Question

brownieapple

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have some friends that are in a sort-of well off band and they want me to take pictures of them while they are playing on stage. all i have is the kit lens that came with my 7D. i was wondering if the "nifty fifty" lens would make for a good lens to buy for this sort of thing? i know it is a pretty handy lens to have anyway but would it make for good stage shooting?

tl;dr "nifty fifty" good for shooting bands on stage?

It would certainly be better to have the larger aperture.

a good focal length is going to depend on how close you are standing to the stage too...

a good focal length is going to depend on how close you are standing to the stage too...

i have full stage access when they are playing. so anywhere from right next to them to the back of the crowd. i will probably be front row or on the side of the sage occasionally going on stage to get a good shot of the crowd. i guess i could of stated that i won't be on a stage in an arena most of the shows are on smaller stages with venue capacities of anywhere from 250 to 1000 people.

I used my "kit lense" (17-85mm f4.0-5.6) to take photos of a friend's band when they played a local club. The 4.0 maximum aperture I had was... limiting. The photos came out "ok". But the nifty 50 would have been welcomed.

When you say "Nifty Fifty", I'm assuming you mean the Canon EF 50mm 1.8?

Its a really nice lens for the money (like $100 I think). As Big Mike said... The bigger aperture will definitely help. And 50mm should be ok if you are near/on the stage.

I used my "kit lense" (17-85mm f4.0-5.6) to take photos of a friend's band when they played a local club. The 4.0 maximum aperture I had was... limiting. The photos came out "ok". But the nifty 50 would have been welcomed.

When you say "Nifty Fifty", I'm assuming you mean the Canon EF 50mm 1.8?

Its a really nice lens for the money (like $100 I think). As Big Mike said... The bigger aperture will definitely help. And 50mm should be ok if you are near/on the stage.

yeah i'm talking about the EF 50mm 1.8.

and i know there is kind of a back and forth war on wether or not the 1.4 is worth the extra 200$ for .4. would it be worth it to buy the 1.8 now learn with it then sell it and buy the 1.4 or should i just buy the 1.8 and walk away from the debate?

... would it be worth it to buy the 1.8 now learn with it then sell it and buy the 1.4 or should i just buy the 1.8 and walk away from the debate?

I have been debating the same question. And I keep flip flopping. It seems that everyone has a different opinion... I think this is a personal choice.

The way I see it... The 1.8 is definitely the better value. But I've heard from several people that the build quality is less than good.

If you put them side by side (in real life, not just on paper) and hold them in your hands. The 1.4 is certainly the better made lens. But is it worth $200 more....

Bus_RiDeR yeah i agree with ya. it seems like a tough choice. i guess this is one of those times you go best 3 out of 3 with a coin toss or rock, paper, scissors.

another question. has anyone here taken pictures on a paintball field or of paintball in general? i'm talking about on the field not behind the netting. what setup were you using? how did you protect your gear?

The 1.4 version also has manual focus override, and faster Autofocus compliments of the USM.

Everyone talks about the build quality of the Canon EF-S 50 f1.8 being so terrible, but are you that hard on your equipment? I would bet not. As a matter of fact, I bet you treat your camera gear like gold. That said, the picture quality from the 50 f1.8 is darn good for a $100 lens. I would think it would serve you well.

Gary

... I think this is a personal choice.

That said, the picture quality from the 50 f1.8 is darn good for a $100 lens.

I like qualitative data. Another good opinion for the "Nifty Fifty".

I think I'll move the 1.8 to the top of my wish list again.

I shoot a lot of bands and the lenses i use are Canon 50F1.4, 70-200F4, 24-70F2.8, 200F2.8 and 300F2.8, 50mm will be ok for front of stage but probably too long for on stage

I shoot a lot of bands and the lenses i use are Canon 50F1.4, 70-200F4, 24-70F2.8, 200F2.8 and 300F2.8, 50mm will be ok for front of stage but probably too long for on stage

what would you suggest for on stage?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back