Quick questions

sdguy55

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took some pictures of my little cousins pageant and i took the opportunity to whip out the camera and try my luck at doing full manual shots. These shots were takin at 1/60, iso 6400, f 5.0. I noticed that they are extremely grainy even just viewing them on my laptop. So i wanted to ask is it because of the super high iso i was using? I needed to do this in order to get it bright enough. The lighting was very dim inside and idk if it was just the bulbs or what but thats what it took to get it decent. So what say you TPF?

9531442303_cd08a061c8_b.jpg

9534230070_71e1ace9e3_b.jpg

Yep, ISO 6400 will do that virtually every time. And before someone else says it, "Film has grain, digital has noise".

Noise, not grain.

Looks like you zoomed in quite a bit as well, yes? That will give more noise at any ISO. And yes, at 6400, noise is going to be a problem.

Looks like very heavy noise reduction was applied, and it REALLY chewed up the detail. Pocket cameras are a good example of this very look...people used to refer to this (a decade ago) as "the watercolor look" that was associated with poor or extreme noise reduction on digital files. My Panasonic P&S can do this at max ISO...similar look...

Thank you for all the replays guys. I suspected that was the reason.

I also did have it zoomed in pretty decent. If I remember correctly it was about 15x (idk what that is in mm)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

This is the time and place where a full frame camera would have came in handy.
The 6D would probably have taken these shots easy.

Just out of curiosity what camera did you use ?

A Sony PowerShot dcs-200v. Basically, in my opinion, a very nice point and shoot.

At ISO 6400 and with the underexposure that second shot has you are almost guaranteed to get visible noise with ANY body. The LEVEL of noise may be less with some bodies, but it's still going to be there. If you are going to use high ISO you have GOT to nail the exposure, or slightly overexpose, or you will see noise, pure and simple. Read This Article.

A Sony PowerShot dcs-200v. Basically, in my opinion, a very nice point and shoot.

Actually it is a nice bridge camera with pretty good low light performance.

Well I'm glad to hear that. I do like the camera its just that there are a few things I wish it would do better.

I think the zoom on it is awesome and takes decent pics. But I will upgrade later. Me and the fiance got it for 200 bucks

At ISO 6400 and with the underexposure that second shot has you are almost guaranteed to get visible noise with ANY body. The LEVEL of noise may be less with some bodies, but it's still going to be there. If you are going to use high ISO you have GOT to nail the exposure, or slightly overexpose, or you will see noise, pure and simple. Read This Article.
Thank you for the link, I read it but I am afraid for now my knowledge is not advanced enough as I was lost reading this article.

Ahhh I got so much more to learn :)

Well I'm glad to hear that. I do like the camera its just that there are a few things I wish it would do better.

I think the zoom on it is awesome and takes decent pics. But I will upgrade later. Me and the fiance got it for 200 bucks

You really cant go wrong with this price for such a nice camera.
When you are ready to upgrade get a camera that can do RAW, this current Sony you have can do JPEG only which is a bit limiting if you want to do post processing work.

Starting to realize this in the worst way.

BUT. In my mind I would rather take an awesome pic first, in my amateur status and worry about post processing later

Most reactions

Back