Quick questions

Thank you for the link, I read it but I am afraid for now my knowledge is not advanced enough as I was lost reading this article.

Ahhh I got so much more to learn :)

The crux of the article is that fully half of the tonal steps that are available in an image are in the FIRST stop on the right side of the histogram, the lightest area. When you get down into the shadow areas there is very little variance in the tones. When you expose well down into the shadow area the voltage in the sensor describing those tones is very close to the noise threshold making it difficult to discriminate between noise and data. The farther you stay away from that threshold when taking the shot the better off the image will be. If you shoot in RAW all you have to do is lower the exposure in post processing and you recover the shadows, but without the noise.

Did you also notice it looks like something freakish going on with your senor around her face in the first one?

Thank you for the link, I read it but I am afraid for now my knowledge is not advanced enough as I was lost reading this article.

Ahhh I got so much more to learn :)

The crux of the article is that fully half of the tonal steps that are available in an image are in the FIRST stop on the right side of the histogram, the lightest area. When you get down into the shadow areas there is very little variance in the tones. When you expose well down into the shadow area the voltage in the sensor describing those tones is very close to the noise threshold making it difficult to discriminate between noise and data. The farther you stay away from that threshold when taking the shot the better off the image will be. If you shoot in RAW all you have to do is lower the exposure in post processing and you recover the shadows, but without the noise.
Of course I shoot RAW.
So basically to slightly expose more then I would normally in a way that in the histogram I am close to the right side and that will minimise the noise in low light situation ?

To learn the fundamentals is what I'm getting at.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

If you see yourself getting serious in photography then DSLR or mirrorless is probably what you should look for when you are ready to upgrade.

Bridge cameras are good for their super zoom and DLSR like body but their sensor aint as big as a DSLR and their lens is very slow when zoomed out.

So basically to slightly expose more then I would normally in a way that in the histogram I am close to the right side and that will minimise the noise in low light situation ?
Exactly right. The most important thing is to not UNDER-expose anything at high ISO. It doesn't matter if it's low-light or not, when shooting at high ISO it's important to expose for the highlights and don't underexpose the shadows.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back