Quick release with no bottom thread?

Joshonator

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
joshonator12.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
</title><meta name="description" content="Black Camera Tripod Quick Release Plate 1.5x2 inches Mount 6mm Screw Adapter Set in Cameras Photo , Tripods Supports , Other Parts Accessories |eBay"><meta name="keywords" content="Black Camera Tripod Quick R

I recently purchased this quick release hoping to screw it onto my monopod, when when I open the package I realize there is no thread at the bottom to screw into (No 1/4" or 3/8" thread anywhere at the bottom). All the holes are smooth on the inside! The useless seller says it came with no instruction so he doesn't know... He sent me some cryptic message about screwing the base plate into a 3/8" tripod screw. None of the holes in the bottom are even anywhere near big enough to fit a 3/8" tripod screw.

The only options I see available is:
Drill the middle hole larger and then jam a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter into the hole.
Screw the plate down to a piece of wood and then put a 3/8" thread into that.

Anyone have any ideas? At this rate I'm probably going to file a dispute.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You could tap the hole...

I guess for $8, having to finish making the part isn't totally unreasonable...

It looks like it's designed for a 1/4" countersunk bolt to go through the hole in it and thread into a threaded boss on the monopod head. If that's the case the hole will be too big for a 1/4 x 20 tap and it will have to be drilled out for a 3/8" threaded adapter. Personally I'd just run it by a machine shop and ask them to thread it for 1/4 x 20 or drill and tap it for 3/8 x ?? (not sure what that pitch is).

Hmm that's true the only problem is the hole is much to small for 3/8" and much too large for 1/4". One of the other holes could in theory be tapped to 1/4" but the tap wouldn't be able to go all the way through because its closed on the other side.

I guess its not totally unreasonable but the ad did say "
This camera quick release plate will quickly screw onto your tripod to properly and securely position your camera" lol

There are two kinds of QR mounts. Those that screw onto a threaded screw protruding from the ball mount and those that you attach with a screw through the QR into a threaded hole in the ball mount. You bought the second one as evidenced by the counter sink in the top of the QR plate. You need the first kind.

Personally, I wouldn't use that particular style of QR on a monopod unless you are just attaching a camera with short glass attached. If you are planning to attach long glass that has it's own tripod ring/mount then you might want to consider one of the Arca-Swiss type QR mounts. More expensive but far more versatile and stable. Just a thought.

Thanks for all the tips! I didn't know there were tripods like that. I guess I could screw the plate to a coupling and then screw that into the monopod too.

Looks a helluva lot like the Manfrotto QRs.

Yeah, that shouldn't cost much to have made either. I'm pretty sure they actually sell those at B&H, but I don't know where it would be...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back