Quick Snoot Test

K_Pugh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Made a wee 12" snoot just thought i'd try it out.. playing with flash is too much fun.

Can using a snoot damage the flash in any way? or is it best to keep its use limited and as low a power as possible, or am i ok?

pink_snoot-r.jpg

No editing, just RAW adjustments & levels.

That's nice...makes me want to go try out a snoot; I've never used one yet.

EDIT - I wonder if you angle the edges of the snoot just slightly, if the light would be more of a gradient than straight lines?

i see your thinking about flaring the edges out a bit? not sure, i've secured the edges too much to try, sort of thick foam i've used. Going to make 2 more, different lengths though so i may try that.

Nice work. I can't see or know of any problems with your flash when using a snoot. I would suggest against dipping the snoot in a combustible liquid and then firing up a smoke though. :lol:

I've made a few using colored construction paper and cereal boxes. You can DIY practically any material found around the house. My next experiment will be with the added honeycomb and grided fronts.

yeah, i was just curious as we all know it gets pretty hot and wasn't sure if it restricted heat dissipation or what not, just keeping myself on the safe side.

yup the gridded ones i've seen and have been tempted, apparently much better? it's all good fun and all the better when you get the results you were after.

"Snoot" ?
Can you take a photo of the device?
Makes the flash reach things like a spot-light, I can see as much, but what does your "snoot" look like "in the flesh"? (The translation I found does not correspond with the idea I'm having as to what it may look like - it says "snoot" means the same as "grimace").

Yup Snoot is a funny word :)

Here you go, i didn't have any duct/gaffer tape so i had to use sticky backed plastic (blue peter style) and sewed the ends first as the foam just wanted to flatten out.

thesnoot-r.jpg

It just slips on and off.

:shock:
THAT is what you built?
And you COULD (if you wanted) also buy something of the kind (less obviously stuck together with broad Scotch band, I would think) --- but you can? Never heard anything about it, nor saw it. The results look interesting, to say the least!

Yeah you can buy proper ones. I think i seen one that was telescopic and had the grid on the end of it, wasn't expensive either.. i might find it again and purchase one.

WOW! I am amazed... I think this will be the first thing I will do if I ever get an external flash! - Keep up the fantastic work!

Bought another flash to use today but as i may have suspected the hot shoe is disabled with the pop up flash popped up, but i need the flash popped up to use it in commander mode.. ack well, guess i'll need to buy an optical slave sensor adaptor thing tomorrow..

anywhoos nothing special again but i took this, snooted flash and a mirror to reflect the light back onto the other side.. cloned out the writing.

bulb-r.jpg

Maybe diffused light would have worked better to dull the 'hotspots' on top of the bulb .. and a little reflected back on top?

Most reactions

Back