Quick wedding lighting advice

KBM1016

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.autumnlightsstudios.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am shooting a wedding this Saturday and the reception is going to be outdoors. I typically bounce my light from my Canon Speedlight (on camera) but this time I won't have anything to bounce light off of because there is not tent! I have some strobes I can set up but was curious if there was something cheap and quick I can put on them other than my soft boxes.

Ideas?

Are you shooting at night? If day, a little fill flash may, or may not be required.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Reception starts at 6 so I will have some amazing sun set light but after about 7:30/8 I am going to have to work it out. Has anyone used the "softbox" for their speedlight?

I do have and have used the soft box for my speed light. I shoot Nikon by the way. Love the results softens and spreads the light evenly reducing flash glare. Haven't used it outside at night though.

It is what it is. I would shoot it from angle that is most beneficial. Just be at a spot that will give you best shots. Dont shoot (unless you must) when you know it is going to be bad. If you are posing, pose them at direction that work best.

I'd put the flash on a stand with a smallish umbrella. It may be too late for you to pick up a wireless trigger but a 6 foot PC cord should be doable for this. I say smallish umbrella because a large one is wasted on a flash and it's also too cumbersome to carry around.

I'd also get the heaviest ankle weight I could find (or two if their lite) and put around the base of the stand.

Have the flash/umbrella on the stand (with one of these Arri Umbrella Holder 570026 B&H Photo Video) at about 6 feet up ( a little lower if they're seated) with the weights at the bottom of the shaft and the legs out enough for stability but no further so that they don't get in the way too much as you're walking around. Carry the stand around with you and when you want to shoot set it down and move a couple feet to the side, take the shot and pick up the stand and move on to the next shot. Rinse and repeat.

I'd put the flash on a stand with a smallish umbrella. It may be too late for you to pick up a wireless trigger but a 6 foot PC cord should be doable for this. I say smallish umbrella because a large one is wasted on a flash and it's also too cumbersome to carry around.

I'd also get the heaviest ankle weight I could find (or two if their lite) and put around the base of the stand.

Have the flash/umbrella on the stand (with one of these Arri Umbrella Holder 570026 B&H Photo Video) at about 6 feet up ( a little lower if they're seated) with the weights at the bottom of the shaft and the legs out enough for stability but no further so that they don't get in the way too much as you're walking around. Carry the stand around with you and when you want to shoot set it down and move a couple feet to the side, take the shot and pick up the stand and move on to the next shot. Rinse and repeat.

That sounds very cumbersome. I would get an assistant to follow the OP around with a monopod an flash+small softbox attached before I do what you suggested. However, with flash or not... you still need to be facing at a best angle to minimize shadow.

Will the reception be in any sort of refined area? I would set up a couple off camera flashes in the corners to provide some background lighting, or if there is going to be some candles or other light source, drag the shutter to bring in some of that ambiance. I would keep it simple, set up your on camera speedlight with a bounce card to push most of the light forward.

I would keep it simple, set up your on camera speedlight with a bounce card to push most of the light forward.

I think this is what I am going to end up doing. This is one of those weddings that took my lowest package so no second shooter or assistant to help me out. Plus it's in the brides backyard (which is not that big and beautiful). She is an older bride so she is really concerned about just getting one good shot of her and the groom plus she is more of a traditional type of photography bride so I think the reception photos aren't going to be that important.

I agree with davis except the statement about bounce card. Shooting your flash upward outdoor doesnt do anything.

Schwettylens said:
I agree with davis except the statement about bounce card. Shooting your flash upward outdoor doesnt do anything.

I have actually seen this done before. What would you suggest in this case?

Schwettylens said:

I have actually seen this done before. What would you suggest in this case?

Shooting your flash upward outdoor is pretty much the same as direct flash with lower power but you drain the battery more. Also you move the location of the direct flash only a few inches above you.. doesnt help that much. You can argue you are making the source of light bigger but most of your light disappear to the sky and a bounce card is not that much bigger. I probably rather use no modifier and use on camera fill flash than using a fong dong, flash bender or any of those modifier outdoor. Maybe a small softbox will work better but that is kinda annoying too having a massive thing right above your camera while shooting.

I have shot one handed with a flash on my other hand or with monopod before. It works pretty well too.

Flash bracket then.

RPS Lighting Stealth Flash Bracket with Off-Camera Cord RS-0410C

This one has the ettl cable built in, or you could get a regular bracket and separate ettl cable.

Or you could just put a couple of monolights with socks in strategic locations and use zone exposing (I may have just made that up ;)) Say f5.6 where the B&G will stand and chimp towards the back to see what you've got, this way you'd have a good idea what to set your aperture at (+ or - f8) depending on where somebody was standing.

You could do this all night and not have to move a thing but your camera settings.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back