Quite a dilemma

Drake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so here's the problem. I want the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens. I want it very bad. But I can't afford it right now and probably also not in the nearest future. Yeah, even such a lens can be ahard to afford when you're a student living on your own. So I came up with the idea of getting rid of my 70-300 sigma since I only use it for macro shots with a close-up filter when I am bored. I don't think I need it's reach. And I think the extra speed and sharpness (in comparison to my kit lens) of the 50mm lens would come very handy. But then again, is it really all that sharp to make it worth selling the crap tele? I know it's me who should decide what's best for me, but some advices from more experienced photographers are always welcome.

Oh, almost forgot, I've got an XTi with the 18-55mm kit lens.

I don't use the tele end of my bag all that often either, but when I need it nothing else will do. I would be hesitant to sell it unless it really is a dog piece of glass. Have you looked around for used? I know prices don't translate, but I see a 1.4 for sale at my local used store for $80 in Ex++ condition. Might be a consideration.

Thanks for your reply. Sadly the used lens market isn't as big here as it is in US. The new-used price difference is so little I simply don't bother.

The prices on Polish E-bay equivalent aren't all that good. And if I bought such a cheap lens from the US, the shipping to Poland would make it not a good deal after all.

oh that is a dilemma for sure
I think possibly when you get to a point that you need the lens you're thinking of selling, nothing else will work for that moment. However, the moments where you'll NEED a macro lens may be so few that it makes it a better deal to do as you think.

In the long run, you know your pros and cons list, so whatever makes more sense to you is the best idea FOR you. Is this new lens something you have to have NOW or is it something you could wait for?

Isn't the Canon 50mm 1.8 like $100 new?? I think I paid $120 for the NIkon 1.8 50mm... I wouldn't sell the Sigma.... I'd scrape for the $100.... Get a paper route.... Collect empty bottles.... mow someone's lawn.... sell crack.... do whatever.... YOU NEED THAT 50MM... NOW GO OUT AND GET IT!!!

Isn't the Canon 50mm 1.8 like $100 new?? I think I paid $120 for the NIkon 1.8 50mm... I wouldn't sell the Sigma.... I'd scrape for the $100.... Get a paper route.... Collect empty bottles.... mow someone's lawn.... sell crack.... do whatever.... YOU NEED THAT 50MM... NOW GO OUT AND GET IT!!!
It's not that I don't have any money, I've just got (and don't yell at me :)) other priorities I consider more important at the moment, like going on holidays with my girlriend. Anyway, I think tirediron's got a point. I pretty much don't care about macros, I don't take it seriously. But there might be moments I will need the 200-300mm reach. And eventually I would probably end up buying another tele lens which probably wouldn't be any better than the one I already have. So after all I think I'll wait for the 50mm a little longer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back