Quitting Smoking

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
3 days without a smoke. I've never gone more than a day without a cigarette in the last 15 years.

Anyone here ever successfully given up smoking?

How long is it before i will no longer feel the urge for nicotine? Don't know how long i can hold out for :shaking: :bounce: :shaking: :crazy:

Take everything one day at a time. Avoid the pub. Keep yourself busy. Use chocolate digestives as a substitute when you're really bad. Try relaxation, meditation. Avoid those key moments when you'd have a cigarette (well except maybe THAT moment).

Good luck. Maybe one day I'll manage it!

Rob

thanks rob

...not looking forward to the pub

They say the physical addiction is about 48 hours, so techniclly your body no longer needs the drug...it's the psychological addiction that is really the problem...that can last forever.

My parents both quit cold-turkey, and have been smoke-free for over 20 years. My mom says that she still wakes up once in a while with a craving, but not usually.

Just remember that every day without a ciggy is another day of life :)

Keep it up.

Oh, I would stay away from rob's idea of the candy--you'll gain weight :)

Just remember that as soon as you light one up it'll taste like a really foul ashtray!

I've tried to quit a few times and the foul taste of a cigarette after a few weeks without sticks in your mind!

When the urge gets too much try doing something you wouldn't normally do. Go out for the day/evening with your camera to somewhere you either cant get any or you can't smoke.

I know someone who just brushed their teeth whenever the got a craving. Gave them sparkly teeth and fresh breath they prefered to burnt ash breath!

My Uncle would hold out for several days & when the cravings really made him mad he'd "borrow" one smoke off someone. He never bought any because then he'd have some more to smoke! He went on like that for a few months until he could eventually manage the cravings better.

Hey JohnMF
I too am quitting the cigarettes, give patches a go :thumbup:
You'll still get your nicotine while you still need it but none of the chemicals and rubbish that you get with cigarettes.
Another good motivation to keep you of the ***s is to think how much lovely camera equipment you buy with the money your not spending on the tobbaco products.

Best of luck :thumbup:

I was a two pack a day guy...for 12 years!!!!!
I haven't had a smoke since July 15th, 1997 :biggrin:

I quit cold turkey ;) Was it hard...yep! Did I wanna choke someone...yep! But was it all worth it in the end...oh you bet!!!

The more you think about it the harder it will be. I recently read an article about how people who spontaneously quit have a much higher chance of actually quitting than people who plan it. Evidence of this comes from my roomate who quit smoking due to being sick and has not smoked in a month. He smoked for 8 years and has no problem with people smoking in fron to of him. I am in the process myself and find it helpful to think about how smoking a butt will not make me feel any better after I smoke it and the taste in my mouth will be bad. I only smoked 1 cigarette yesterday and this morning I felt great when I woke up.... not smoked out. I want this feeling again so Im not going to smoke today. Also think about how you will feel when the doctor walks in the room and tells you you have lung cancer, that sinking feeling will be enough to keep you off them.

thanks for all the ideas everyone, i will definately try them out

I've been exercising to try and keep my mind occupied. problem is, now, I'm full of aches and pains :confused: i'm hobbling around everywhere, like an old man

Heehee :biggrin:

Well, better hobbling around and aching like an old man NOW than being an old man much earlier than you would be with the cigarettes.

As I have never smoked, I cannot really give any quitting advice, since I don't even know the feeling of craving, but I know from a good many people that it works - and going with D-50's post, quitting spontaneously seems to work better, indeed, from what I have seen or heard around me. Some things, so I also hear, will forever be tied to some psychological craving, even after years of going without a cigarette, like a cup of coffee on mid morning or the beer in the pub, so it might take a long while and a good deal of strength to first avoid and later live through those situation without caving in. But everyone who comes out a non-smoker at the other end is so much stronger a person! I'll be thinking of you, John, and keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!

Thanks for your thoughts LaFoto

It is the first time i have ever tried to quit, and it was a spontaneous decision too, so hopefully that will be a good omen. Determined not to fail!

I quit cold turkey. I figured that patches and nicotine gum was just prolonging the nicotine addiction so I did not bother with it.

The key is to distract yourself when you have a craving. They are probably still comign on strong from time to time, and when they do stop what ever it is your doing and go do something else. After a few minutes it will pass.

by this time tomorrow you will be having a better time of it.

a few days down the road you may have another "bad day" but remind yourself when those cravings come that you are clear of nicotine now and that one puff will send you right back down that road. Once you are done with that that mental reminder then get up and go do something else.

You had to learn how to smoke and now your learning not to smoke. You will make it!

In a few months you will look back and wonder why it took so long to quit.

One day, one hour, one minute at a time. You can do it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back