Quitting Smoking

Speaking of disgusting... I can remember my dad quit when I was still smoking. After a few years he became ill whenever I smoked in the car. Didn't matter if the window was down or not.

Last weekend my wife and I had dinner in a restuarant that still allows smoking. For some reason the place was filled with smokers. It was very unpleasant for me, not the craving that didn't happen, but the smell and the choking feeling were physically uncomfortable.

jocose said:
They say the physical addiction is about 48 hours, so techniclly your body no longer needs the drug...it's the psychological addiction that is really the problem...that can last forever.

I remember reading something that said habits (which im not sure would apply to smoking once you get past the physical addiction) are broken in 13 days. I dont remember where or how credible it was but it does seem somewhat logical.

I dont know anybody personally that has quit but it seems that going to class at the college there are a lot of people talking about how they have quit smoking. One guy looked like he was about ready to hurt somebody:(

Good luck! My fiance is talking about doing this soon. Im sure it cant be easy. While ive never been addicted to smoking and personally dont see the reason, I have a lot of respect for those that quit.

I've been smoking since 1970.

This Thanksgiving (Nov 2005) I had 3 cigarettes. Just haven't bought another pack. (Yep, quit "Cold Turkey" - last smoke was at 5 pm and the bird was cold by then.)

I have not had nicotine fits. Occasionally I desire to light up - when I get in the car to go to work, when I first sit down at the computer, and on that rare occasion when there just isn't anything to do. But this has been fleeting.

I've tried in the past and not been successful. This is roughly 4 months without a cigarette and no real desire to have one.

Good luck. Hang in there. I look at it this way - I can walk around the block without getting winded and I'm saving $100/month that I can put towards camera gear. What better incentive.

rangefinder said:
I have not had nicotine fits. Occasionally I desire to light up - when I get in the car to go to work, when I first sit down at the computer, and on that rare occasion when there just isn't anything to do. But this has been fleeting.

I think it is these moments when you are used to lighting up that are the worst because they catch you off guard, it's almost autopilot. I always stop at the garage on the way to work to get petrol, a pint of milk and a pack of smokes. It's so routine that the guy behind the counter just passes me the cigarettes without me asking, and i almost take them before i realise i've stopped (he's getting the message now).

Also, i miss the banter of the "smokers gang" in work. People who you don't really know, from other departments in the office, but who come together to indulge in their habbit, outside on lunch breaks, and have a chat and a joke. Now i have to sit indoors with the non smoker crowd, they are deeply boring, with no 'edge' to them. They just sit around stuffing their faces, scratching their arses and moaning. Suppose I'll just have to get used to it and join in *scratch - scratch* :(

that's my rant over

Most reactions

Back