Quitting your job to travel

Msteelio91

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.digitaldistrictphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got back from a trip to Peru - we stayed in hostels rather than hotels to not only save money but also meet cool people with similar interests. Just halfway through the trip I lost count of how many people had quit their jobs to travel. I'm not talking for 3-6 months, but rather 1.5+ years just traveling, wherever the wind blows.

How the hell do you do that???

How do you leave a job, friends/family whatever and just travel for so long? Has anyone done something similar?

If I could do something of the sort as a photography excursion I would be the happiest dude in the world but I can't fathom being away that long.

I would in a heartbeat if I COULD. But I can't, financial not possible.

easy, dont have friends or family!

I would in a heartbeat if I COULD. But I can't, financial not possible.

Same here, I make good money but I'd have to sell my place before being able to do this. No way I could make car/rent payments every month without a job while in another country for 1 or more years.

How old were they, generally.

Between 25-35 mostly

Just how long did you meet these people? Are they really telling the truth or just shooting the breeze with you? Win Powerball and you can pay your bills, easily find a wife and travel on a long honeymoon then come back poorer....LOL

How old were they, generally.

Between 25-35 mostly[/QUOTE]

I wish I had done something irresponsible like that when I was young enough. I've got too much to lose now, but back then? Not doing that will likely be one my life's biggest regrets.

Of course there are probably some of them who have enough money saved, or someone willing to finance them, that they can do such a thing. But others might be the sort of traveler that I used to work with: the traveling ESL teacher. When I went overseas, I had a degree, certification, a job, a work visa, and two suitcases. Once I was there, I met many people whose main intent was to travel but when they ran out of money, they'd work at cowboy language schools for 3-6 months and then keep moving. I was the "strange" one who had a legit job and work visa, and came with two whole suitcases instead of just a backpack. Some of them were quite interesting, and others were just too full of themselves to tolerate.

As for the question about how people just pick up and go away for so long? Priorities. Travel is very important to some people, more than security. I'd spend a year or two traveling at the drop of a hat if I had the opportunity, and if it were important enough to me, I'd find the opportunity somehow. It was that important to me, actually, when I decided to move overseas for a while. I was dating someone, I had a job, I had my family...it's not like these things were not important, but at that time, going away felt necessary. I didn't just want to; I felt like I had to go.

These days, I still try to travel as much as I possibly can, but there are other priorities that I have at the moment that feel more important. Priorities like, you know, finally making the money I should have been making 10 years ago and starting to plan for retirement so I don't become the crazy cat lady living in a box on Main Street.

But if that were already settled and I didn't have to worry about that? You bet your ass I'd be traveling a LOT! :)

I agree with bentcountershaft. I wish I'd taken the chance to do extended travel when I was in my 20s. Now I have two small children, whom not only need some stability in their life, I want to make sure that I provide for their futures as well. That means not up and quitting my job. Even in my 20s, though, I had student loans I had to pay back, a career to start up and work hard at, etc. If I'd taken a break like that I wouldn't be where I am today.

I guess it really is just priorities. If security and home weren't my priorities, I could have done it. Could probably even sell everything and do it now! But that security and "home" are too important to me. Probably the most indicative reason we didn't do it (referring to bentcountershaft here), is that we immediately define it as "irresponsible". Not adventurous. :)

i skipped kids so i can save and take fun vacations :)

Just how long did you meet these people? Are they really telling the truth or just shooting the breeze with you? Win Powerball and you can pay your bills, easily find a wife and travel on a long honeymoon then come back poorer....LOL

I considered this as well but some of them were in groups and I think it'd be hard/strange for a group of 3+ people to make the same lie about traveling haha. I still wouldn't doubt it if a few stretched the truth a bit.

I know you are speaking of younger folks here, but if you will indulge me.....

SAVE YOUR MONEY STARTING NOW !!

My parents taught me to save. When the economy dumped our jobs in 07, we said ok. We sold the house that we had never refinanced more than 50% of it value, (compared to people taking 119% out of its value) selling while it still had its value.
Bought a 40' RV and new Toyota Tundra to tow behind us and never looked back :)

At 51 and 53 yrs old, we were still in physical shape to see @ 35 of our National Parks and lots of other great stuff over the last 6 yrs.
Sometimes we work ( Yellowstone National Park for 7 months. They have 'dorm' rooms and a meal plan for those not in an Rv)
And other times we just enjoy ( Alaska for 4 months fishing and sightseeing )

long story short....I read a retirement article the other day and "said a young person doesn't see how they can $$ today... while holding a $5 latte and carrying a $500 tablet, smartphone etc"
We DO NOT own a plasma, or such tv. The old one keeps working :)

I am however about to spend $400 on tripod and head, so please don't think you give up everything, just make good decisions.

Don't want to bore you, but when you hear and older person say 'they walked to school in the snow, uphill BOTH ways" it's not always the literal meaning. They worked hard and saved.

Enjoy and hopefully your question spurs a long term goal for you ;)
Nancy

Most reactions

Back