RaceTrack Panning take 2 Help!

Raley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my second time trying panning. If you recall i posted the other day about how my first time went. This time although i was at a race track and the cars were moving a lot faster! A challenge indeed. Tbh i had quite a hard time today :( At first i tried it with the 50mm and was not getting the best results (blurry mess). I switched over to my 105mm micro lens and immediately had better results. I do need to get a Nd filter as i was shooting somewhere around f/22. My settings were 125s f/22 iso100 at 105mm.
I did get some good shots, so it wasn't a complete loss, but i would guess 50%-65% were throwaways sadly. Again this is my second time trying panning and im happy with the ones that did turn out. I take it this is something that comes with practice.. should i be happy with these results? Do the pros get it tack sharp every time when it comes to panning? Is there a go to lends for this type of photography?

Which pic is your favorite?
Any tips would be great! And of course a critique!

2111200.jpg BlackYellow1200.jpg Blaupunkt1200.jpg Bmw651200.jpg Checker1200.jpg GTR1200.jpg Hammer1200.jpg hammer21200.jpg R81200.jpg RaceonRails1200.jpg Rhino1200.jpg Slantnose1200.jpg TicTac1200.jpg

Overall you have created a set of photos that look very similar to one another. Your exposures are very consistent, and your shutter speed in these looks pretty close from frame to frame. One tip would be to avoid shooting into backlight "So much. In this set, each car appears in the shade on your side with the brighter sunlight on the driver side of the car. This creates dark wheel wells, and very little detail visible in the shadow side of the car.

Personally I prefer more of a blurred look to the car's wheels and tires from a slower shutter speed Panning is highly variable from frame to frame, and can be done a wide variety of ways. One of the key aspects to getting good panning photos is
to continue the exact speed of the pan when the shutter fires and the mirror goes up; which is in itself, a skill that requires practice ,specially at slow shutter speed,such as at 1/30 of a second or slower, which means a rather lengthy black out time of the view finder, during which time it is easy to stop or slow the movement of the camera. Years ago I discovered that during slow speed pand with a single lens reflex camera, one of the best tricks was to look over the hot shoe,and not through the viewfinder it's self, and to look directly at the vehicle, And to make a very deliberate effort to maintain the speed of the swing as the shutter is open. At slow panning speeds such as one 1-/30 to1/3 of a second there can be a huge amount of blurring.

The way a photo looks depends on the shutter Time, the object speed and angle and distance , and how well the camera is swung with the subject. slower speeds of the shutter tend to produce more suggestive blurring on the subject, and more painterly backgrounds, while faster panning speeds produce a sharper subject and a background that has more-recognizable features.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back