Ramirez/Barton wedding 4/21/2012

Just a few highlights from the Last wedding I shot. Starting to feel the stress of doing wedding photography. Bride and groom are very nice people but gave little to no direction about what they wanted from their photos. i just got the line, "I trust you." Sounds good but basically it means I have no idea. Think it still turned out okay. I may post some more shots later since Im still editing.

Your sensor is dirty. Look at the crest of the roof towards the back of the building.

Pretty decent shot, but I'd say it's 1/3rd to 2/3rds of a stop underexposed.

This is nice, I like the colors.

This is also a fairly decent capture. I probably would have stood at more of an angle from the first window though.

This is a nice shot as well but I think the WB is off a tad.

Not a huge fan of the composition on this one. The smiling girl on the left is nice, but WTF is the bride doing?

Decent candid capture. The room is pretty messy on the floor, so I would have shot at a lower angle to minimize the amount of clutter that was shown.

The background destroys this photo. You NEED to pay attention to backgrounds. He's got a lamp coming out of his head.

Not flattering at all. Boring composition due to centered subject.

Exposure/Noise issues

Nothing really "grabs" me with this photo.

Focus is missed on this one. It's also quite noisy.

Not bad. Needs serious noise reduction though.

This looks like it was shot at too wide of an angle.

No.

His smile is somewhat unflattering. It also looks as if he's looking over your shoulder at someone else.

Grooms eyes are shut... Bride is looking at someone else.

Bride/Groom Shades by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

​This one doesn't work for me either.

Comments in bold.

rub said:
I would KILL for clients who give me the gree light to do what I want! It gives you the oppotunity to create something really unique for them, rather than having to adhere to some boring shot list.

Some C&C - take it or leave it :)

1) Grey
2) It's okish. Kinda flat and bland.
3) Could be good filler in an album, but not worthy of a stand alone image
4) Would be nice to see more window, less wall. I different perspective would be good. Clone out the outlet on the wall.
5) Not for me. Maybe if the dress was infront of the window. Sorry just really poor composition.
6) Okay candid - but grey
7) Same as 6
8) Best of them all, in my opinion, but still grey
9) I mean it kinda funny, but not flattering. At all. If he was one face is a sea of faces sure, but for a portrait? NO
10) Again, with a different composition it could have been much stronger - like just the bride and father, where the backlighting is there, the noise, but that perfect moment captured makes it all okay... and its grey
11) Its good but needs contrast
12) Grey
13) Not too bad, grey, very noisy
14) Crooked, shot close and wide giving the girl on the right distortion. Try to back up, and zoom in, if you can.
15) This is awful and should never be show. I cannot for the life of me figure out why this was posted.
16) Cute, but you can straighten it out, add some blacks.
17) Doesnt do much for me or show much love
18) Kinda cheeseballish. If clients are wanting to do these kinds of shots, try get them in a more candid way. They will look less posed and you can catch some good smiles and real laughter.

Sorry for the harshness, but its only meant to help you grow. Work on those B&W conversions. And I'm not sure what ISO you were shooting at, but if your camera has that hard of a time with noise, get a tripod, faster glass, or a better body. The noise level is pretty darn harsh for those indoor shots.

K
Rub can you post link so I may envy your talent :)

Balmiesgirl said:
:) Lol..... Pretty good.
Actually I need to change my user name cause I'm not Balmiesgirl any more. "Balmie" and I were married for 20 years..... But things changed recently....

Sorry to hear lil lady :/. You can always be a TPF girl :)

o hey tyler said:
Comments in bold.

#16 looks like Jeff Dunham's Bubba J.

Sorry!!!!

Sorry for the harshness, but its only meant to help you grow. Work on those B&W conversions. And I'm not sure what ISO you were shooting at, but if your camera has that hard of a time with noise, get a tripod, faster glass, or a better body. The noise level is pretty darn harsh for those indoor shots.

Its okay. I respect your opinion. I did order upgrades, a580 and a sigma 17-50 f2.8. I told accounting I needed better gear but they would not approve the transaction earlier this year.

o hey tyler said:
Comments in bold.

#16 looks like Jeff Dunham's Bubba J.

Sorry!!!!

I have no problem with people commenting on my work but keep the personal comments to yourself.

But thank you to everyone else that did post some constructive criticism. I will review over all over these later today and make appropriate corrections.

Last edited:
What camera did you use ? it looks like you have gone beyond its limits on the inside shots, one more thing the quality of that stained glass is awful i don't think i would have used it in any shots

What camera did you use ? it looks like you have gone beyond its limits on the inside shots, one more thing the quality of that stained glass is awful i don't think i would have used it in any shots

Sony a200. Definitely pushed past its limits. It has been replaced since. And they just dont make stained glass like the used to.

So that makes it okay? I don't doubt that the bride told you this, but why post it on the internet? It's poor form, and immature, BRO.

o hey tyler said:
So that makes it okay? I don't doubt that the bride told you this, but why post it on the internet? It's poor form, and immature, BRO.

Good point.

Most reactions

Back