WHY DOES THIS **** COST SO MUCH MONEY!!!!????!!!!
Even the basics aren't cheap. $60 for a battery? You've got to be ****ting me. Cheap lenses at $400 each? Come on!!!!!
Arrrrrgh!
I just put in an order for 2 4gb SD cards and a battery fro my D7000 and it ate up a c-note..... BEFORE shipping.
Pffft.
Every time I learn a little bit more about my camera and photography it seems to cost me a hundred bucks.
Ok, so I guess this thread should be titled is "WHY CAN'T I CHOOSE CHEAPER HOBBIES!!!!????!!!!"
On the plus side, I did get my Cowboy studio lightstand/umbrella setup the other day, and surprisingly, for a $30 unit, it doesn't suck that bad.
Photography is not really an expensive hobby, when compared to some others.
I know where you can get a nice used 2008 Swift 016-a Formula Atlantic race car for $75,000. If you want all the spare parts/shocks/gear sets/wheels/etc and the one spare engine/gearbox he has for the car it will be another $90,000.
To race the car mid-pack at the regional amateur level you'll need a budget of at least another $75,000 a season, if you don't have any crash damage during the season (most crashes happen mid-pack).
Cost to much?
You could get a nice used 2 or 3 year old FSCCA car for about $40,000, without any spare parts. It costs less to race those, they use sealed Mazda spec engines, so you could do a regional season mid-pack for another for $50,000 or so.
Need a fire resistant, Snell 2010 helmet? Prices range from $400 up (top of the line Schuberth RF1 - $10,000+ and you have to fly to Germany so they can measure your head.) (not including a paint job. Last I checked Troy Lee Designs pricing
starts at $1200 per paint job.) You'll need at least 2 helmets.
You'll need a HANs device. The least expensive is $675. You'll need at least 2 HANS device.
A fire resistant balaclava $50.
A decent pair of fire resistant overalls will run you about $850 (2 layer, protection from burns in a raging gasoline fire for about 9 seconds.) 3-layers suits start at about $1200.
Fire resistant gloves start at $100 a pair (get 2 pair)
Fire resistant drivng shoes start at $100 a pair (get 2 pair. The soles are real thin so you have good pedal feel, but don't last to long if you walk around in them much. Bettter get 2 pair.)
A set of racing slicks are good for about 100 miles, but only cost about $1000 for a set of 4. Plan on using up at least one set per race/practice day, plus the cost of entry fees, fuel (race car and tow vehicle), travel expenses, meals, etc.
I have a cousin that collects and restores vintage airplanes. That's way more expensive than racing formula cars.