What's new

Rate my Skill

carspottingohio

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 6, 2012
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
I've been shooting for about 2 or 3 months now after school and on weekends seeing that I'm only 17. 1 being worst 10 being best any tips would be awesome. BTW I use a Nikon D5000 and your typical VR lens. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • $image-3407807190.webp
    $image-3407807190.webp
    84.8 KB · Views: 116
  • $image-338407939.webp
    $image-338407939.webp
    102.9 KB · Views: 97
  • $image-3433123071.webp
    $image-3433123071.webp
    140.8 KB · Views: 120
  • $image-2241554748.webp
    $image-2241554748.webp
    22.1 KB · Views: 94
  • $image-2953313430.webp
    $image-2953313430.webp
    86.9 KB · Views: 108
  • $image-1400478328.webp
    $image-1400478328.webp
    173.7 KB · Views: 121
  • $image-3697421989.webp
    $image-3697421989.webp
    92.5 KB · Views: 119
  • $image-272029018.webp
    $image-272029018.webp
    167 KB · Views: 132
I'm seeing a lot of over-processed shots. For example, in the flower photo, those halo's are not generally considered a good thing when overdone so much. Those sliders for saturation, clarity, etc in your post processing software that you bumped up to 100% don't necesarilly always make for a better photo ;)

As for rating your skill, if you want my honest opinion, I'd say a 2 or 3. The "worst" would be leaving the lens cap on, and you definitely aren't that. However, you shouldn't be expecting people to rate you as anywhere near a 10, or even that half of the spectrum. I doubt anyone on these forums would be considered a 10, only because each person's opinion varies on what they like in a photo. It takes years, sometimes decades, to even get to where a photographer is competent enough to produce decent shots consistently, so don't expect raving reviews after 2 months.

Just keep shooting, as long as you do that your making progress, and thats what counts, not some silly number you ask to be assigned to ;)
 
Last edited:
I'm seeing a lot of over-processed shots. For example, in the flower photo, those halo's are not generally considered a good thing.

Just keep shooting ;)

I agree with Tog! Lay off the tonemapping and HDR until you get a better handle on the whole thing.

Don't post more then three shots if you want C&C ... most won't bother! I'll give you the SHORT VERSION!

#1 meh.. boring
#2 busy background.. no real "emphasized" main subject.. just a bunch of cars
#3 too contrasty... angle, light, and reflections.. meh...
#4 whatever! :thumbdown:
#5 nasty tone mapping job.. overly saturated....
#6 same as #5
#7 subject is underexposed.. other car in frame is ugly.. background is WAY too bright...
#8 ummm.. no! meh.....

Not trying to be harsh.. just saying what I see! Keep practicing... and don't believe your friend and family when they tell you how great you are. You probably know more than they do.. and if you take an honest look at your shots.. you will see what I mean.

Learn to use your aperture to control your background....
 
Last edited:
I like some of the concepts your going for here, but I have one suggestion. Spend more time shooting and less time editing. Then, when you do edit, do as little as you need to obtain a clean and balanced image. Believe me you can have a ton of fun in Photoshop, but it won't make you a better photographer.
 
I like some of the concepts your going for here, but I have one suggestion. Spend more time shooting and less time editing. Then, when you do edit, do as little as you need to obtain a clean and balanced image. Believe me you can have a ton of fun in Photoshop, but it won't make you a better photographer.
+1
 
Hello @17,

#1: If the speeding car did appear between those two poles, the image would be more striking..and if you slowed the shutter to create the movement, there would have been an added punch

#2:The floor is black, the car is nearly black....if that yellow car was in its place, would have been better....a shallow depth of field also added as a suggestion

#3; too contrasty...sore to eye

#4: Foot-lighter? ;)

#5: I have a personal like for this; not as a natural look....

#6: Colors are good; not the angle

#7, #8; both have something in common...showing partially... i did not like the first; but liked the second-for its color and age

All The Best :D

PS: two three months is not a period to develop skills, as indicated in your caption.... wish you growth from 17 to 71 and beyond ;)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom