Raw files - Photoshop or Camera software?

Tish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have Nikon Capture NX which came with my camera and I also have Photoshop Elements 8. Both of these programs can work with Raw files.

I am going to try the Raw format for my next set of photos and, as I have never tried processing Raw files before, I am wondering whether I am better to use Photoshop or Capture or, are they very much alike and makes no difference?

Last edited:
Personally, the fewer programs I have to switch between the better for workflow. PSE 8 RAW viewer opens up in PSE then when done directly opens in PSE.

I agree. Use PS, just because it opens your RAW file, then when are you done working on it, takes it directly into Elements. No switching programs and dragging your photo around.

I have Nikon Capture NX which came with my camera and I also have Photoshop Elements 8. Both of these programs can work with Raw files.

You'll get better results with Nikon Capture NX2 than with PSE 8.

Also, only Capture NX2 can read the Picture Control and Active D-Lighting settings on your camera. Adobe can't as that's proprietary information that Nikon doesn't share.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back