Raw files

Jcoffee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just made the transfer to digi and i was told to shoot and save in both raw and jpeg form. But when i connect my camera( 350d) I cant move or see the raw files. It says the format is "not available" and also says the file is 0 bites. So if anyone knows what Im doing wrong I would really appreciate it.

Its probably something really simple...

thanks.

What are you using to move/transfer the files? Using the supplied EOS viewer software, you should be able to manage the files. Some software (maybe even windows) may require and upgrade before it will recognize RAW files from newer cameras like yours.

Even just connecting the camera to the computer, the camera should act like an external drive, allowing you to just drag & drop the files onto your hard drive. My computer has a built-in card reader but card readers are cheap and they make it really easy to transfer your files.

yeah im just using the cable that came with the camera. I tryed using the eos utility program and it saved them onto my computer but it saved them as cr2 files and when I try to open them in ps it says theyre not the right kind of file.

Thanks for the help Mike.

Ok I just figured it all out. Just as i thought i was really easy.

Big Mike said:
My computer has a built-in card reader but card readers are cheap and they make it really easy to transfer your files.

Are those the card readers where you put your memory into it and then connect it to a USB slot? I can't really post a link to what I'm picturing right now sorry. I was looking at those and wondered what the benefits would be compared to just plugging in the camera to a USB port. Any ideas?

Ya, that's basically it. Just a slot with a USB cord.

I like them because you don't have to use your camera's battery while uploading...you don't have to use your camera's USB slot, which could get worn out or the door/cover could get worn out.

Also, a camera attached to a cord on a desk can have a tendency to get snagged, which might send the camera crashing to the floor. I like the idea of just using the card and leaving the camera in the bag.

Also, if you are downloading off of the camera...you may miss a good photo opportunity.

Big Mike said:
Also, a camera attached to a cord on a desk can have a tendency to get snagged, which might send the camera crashing to the floor. I like the idea of just using the card and leaving the camera in the bag.

Haha ... very good point. I had an iPod launch across the room due to a hanging cord and I almost swallowed my tongue when it happened.

Most reactions

Back