Raw Format

Galaxy_Stranger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've done some homework on Nikon's proprietary RAW format and I like what i've found. But, I can't seem to find any information on how Canon handles RAW. Does Canon just use the normal RAW format, or do they have their own system like Nikon has?

I'm not sure what you mean "handles RAW" but as far as I know, Canon RAW is different from Nikon RAW...but only in the details. In a practical sense, they should be pretty similar.

I don't think there is a "normal RAW" format. Each brand, or probably each camera model has it's own RAW files that differ from other RAW files. An example of this is that Canon RAW .CR2 files from the 20D require an updated Adobe Camera RAW, to be read in Photoshop...compared to .CR2 files from the 10D.

The RAW format has no difference, RAW its like the negative of a film, but its the negative of a digital photo. Nikon and Canon both have RAW, the extension diferes, but the format don`t. RAW its a photograph witout compression.

So there`s no 2 types of RAW. It´s the same but with other extension.

most decent camera manufacturers offer RAW capabilities. nikons files are .nef olympus is .olm i think, etc. etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back