RAW- Is it worth it

Niko2012

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to know if a lot of people shoot in Raw these days? It's a lot of work to do post processing of a couple of hundred pics.

Depends on what you're using the photos for.

Family get-togethers, vacation shots, snapshots, posting a quick photo on Facebook, Whitsit posts on TPF.......... Jpeg all day long.

High-speed sports, for a newspaper? Jpeg.

Formal portraits, advertising, brochures? Raw.

When I shoot raw, I rarely shoot raw+jpeg. If I'm shooting raw, there's a reason for it. If I need a jpeg later, I can easily create one in post.

You should do what works for you

If you rely on your camera to provide the same post process in every shot, You could do a batch on all your raw file that would do the same thing (or betteer) and be faily quick.

If you want to work in RAW do so, If not don't. It's simple

Absolutely. I shoot everything in raw. Nope, it's not a lot of work after you get the hang of it! I can fully post process a day's shooting at a tournament in a couple of hours max.
There is one key to that: GET IT RIGHT IN CAMERA.
I have set up adobe camera raw so it automatically applies my curves, sharpening, basic black level and noise removal at high ISO's the minute I import my images. It applies according to which camera I am using and what ISO I use on that camera. If I nail it in camera I have to do nothing in post except convert them all to jpeg. An average match of about 250 shots or so takes me about 15 minutes. 30 if I have some screwy something going on.

Like 99.99% RAW. I'll shoot jpg if I know I want the shots immediately for facebook or something. If I care at all about the final quality though, certainly RAW.

i recently started shooting in raw! when you are dealing with 1 time moments, raw is absolutely worth it!

just shoot raw + jpeg and a lot of the raw files i take get deleted. because i did shoot it right.
but raw will save your ass!

I like to shoot RAW + JPEG. Storage is pretty cheap these days, and it allows me to see a sort of "pre-edited", sharpened, noise-reduced image to edit by, as well as something to use as a base point to evaluate the images from. For B&W, I ALWAYS shoot RAW + JPEG, with the camera set to create the in-camera JPEGS in B&W and to show me the previews in B&W.

I like to shoot RAW + JPEG. Storage is pretty cheap these days, and it allows me to see a sort of "pre-edited", sharpened, noise-reduced image to edit by, as well as something to use as a base point to evaluate the images from. For B&W, I ALWAYS shoot RAW + JPEG, with the camera set to create the in-camera JPEGS in B&W and to show me the previews in B&W.
^^This!^^

Most reactions

Back