raw ISO

Ecas32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
what am i doing wrong? when i take a picture in RAW, there is more noise in it than there is in JPEG. and when rum it through a noise reducing program, none of it goes away.

The reason you see more noise is because no in camera noise reduction, try applying some in ACR.

i had my noise reduction turned on. and what is acr?

what am i doing wrong? when i take a picture in RAW, there is more noise in it than there is in JPEG. and when rum it through a noise reducing program, none of it goes away.

You can not view a "RAW" file. Any visualization of a raw file has been processed. What are you using to process your RAW files? And an example would be nice.

canon digital professional.

IMG_0897.jpg

Is this the RAW converted file or the straight JPEG. We'd have to see both.

Also, could you post the EXIF data? Specifically, shutter speed, aperture, and ISO would be very helpful.

You don't understand that noise reduction doesn't apply when you shoot RAW.

ACR= Adobe Camera Raw, a 1.8 second search helps.

Exif

Aperture - f/5.6
Shutter Speed - 1/640
ISO - 1600
Focal Length - 300mm

ISO is at 1600, that's why you have so much noise in your image. The higher the ISO, the more noise you'll get in your images. Using a lower ISO will reduce the amount of noise you're getting.

Rofl, 1600 on a low end crop body, and he wonders why there is noise....

Raw isn't a cure all.

The noise reduction function in the camera won't be activated when you're using RAW. When the shoot jpeg, noise reduction and all the other adjustment function such as sharpening and color apply but not in raw. You have to do that on your if your own if you shooting RAW. How are you processing your raw file? It doesn't seem like the picture you posted has been process at all. 1600 ISO is high but you can get pretty acceptable result with proper processing.

The noise reduction function in the camera won't be activated when you're using RAW. When the shoot jpeg, noise reduction and all the other adjustment function such as sharpening and color apply but not in raw. You have to do that on your if your own if you shooting RAW. How are you processing your raw file? It doesn't seem like the picture you posted has been process at all. 1600 ISO is high but you can get pretty acceptable result with proper processing.

To understand this a little better you need to understand that digital cameras only shoot RAW. There is no camera out there that ever shoots anything other than RAW, period.

What the "RAW / JPEG" option on your camera does is determine whether the camera saves the original RAW that it shot or whether it post processes the RAW image with its internal software (firmware) to generate a JPEG to save to the card. Some models have an option to save both the original RAW and the camera generated JPEG.

What the OP is seeing is the differing results that two completely different RAW-to-JPEG converters achieved. Their settings are obviously different and their interal algorythms will certainly be different. Only when using computer based software from the same manufacturer as the camera will their tend to be similar results without a lot of tweaking of the software defaults.

Nikon is one that strives to match their computer based conversion software (e.g. Capture NX2, ...) to that built into the camera. They match the two well enough that they can store the camera settings, used for its conversions, in the RAW filles (NEF format in this case) and use them in their computer based conversion software as starting defaults to get virtually the same results. These saved settings, for the most part, can't be used by other brands of software as their software does't use exactly the same algorythms as Nikon's own proprietarty software.

I'd try to keep that ISO at 400 or below. Also was this image cropped or is it the full image scaled for web. You can only "zoom" in with cropping so far before you get noise. If severely cropped, that and the high ISO are the source of your problem. I personally use Canon's Digital Photo Pro software to process my Raw images and it works well for me.

Run it through Noiseware. There is a free addition, and I think you'll like the noise reduction. There is a sharpness issue though, and I'm not sure if you sharpen it to a good degree you're not going to get some halos.

Most reactions

Back