Raw Issues

Bryant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just went out and shot in RAW and I came and uploaded it into bridge. The files are .CR2. What is this? When viewing in Bridge, they are the size of a thumbnail and I'm not able to do Bridge Raw. When viewing the actual file on my hardrive, they are the correct size about 3000X3000 and view correctly. Is it a camera issue or something?

Bridge is just your file manager; Adobe RAW is the RAW image handler. It sounds to me like you need a software update for Adobe.

cr2 is the name of a raw file taken with a canon.

you need to use the canon software to convert the file or as someone else has suggested upload the proper software to PS that will recognize that file type

You could use DPP (Digital Photo Professional), it should have came with your camera.

your camera should have come with a set of disks and on them should be the drivers and RAW converters - install the software and run - it should interface with photoshop naturally. If not search the updates website for your camera models RAW converter

I feel out of place answering this question since this is my first post but I just ran into the same problem initially. What version of Bridge are you using....CS3? I updated my camera raw plugin and it worked fine afterwards. It sounds as though it is your first time working in RAW so forgive me if you already knew this but did you right click the .cr2 file and select "Open in Camera Raw"?

From there you can work on your picture without ever damaging the original then press done because you can revert back to the original. From here you can also save it to jpeg or whatever but it would be best to work in RAW, at least that is what I'm told.

Camera Raw from Adobe
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Camera_Raw_4.5

Yeah, updating your Adobe Camera Raw plugin seems like a good idea.If you have CS2, your bridge won't support .cr2 files unless you update. With CS3 however, .cr2 files should be no problem.

Whoa lets not start redirecting the dude to another program just because he hit a bump. :lol:

When using Photoshop, you are obviously using Adobe Camera Raw to process raw images. Older versions of Photoshop, however, do not always support newer cameras. Somtimes you can fix this by updating the RAW plugin, sometimes you either have to get a newer version of photoshop or use Adobe's RAW->DNG converter.

The first thing to do is to try updating your RAW.

Here is the link to Adobe's site for CS3 (and it has links at the bottom for CS2) http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3895

Note that it also has a page listing what cameras are supported... if you don't see your camera in there, you have to go to option 2.

Option 2 is to get the Adobe RAW->DNG converter. This is an external program that will convert your raw images to a format that Photoshop can handle (in any version, basically). Adobe is struggling with 50 million camera vendors all having their own RAW formats, and having to update multiple versions of Photoshop to be able to handle it. Their response is to do this... they're also trying to get camera vendors to support DNG in the cameras themselves. I don't blame them, this must be a pain. :)

Here is the site to download the converter:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3731

Download and run that, just point it at your raw files and convert them. I recommend putting them in a subfolder. Then open that folder with Bridge and all will behave normally. It's a bit of a irritant as a middle step, but worth it to keep shooting raw and using photoshop.

Okay thanks alot manaheim, that worked out. Finally somebody gave me an alternative that didn't involve downloaded external programs.

Okay thanks alot manaheim, that worked out. Finally somebody gave me an alternative that didn't involve downloaded external programs.

Glad to help- what was the end result? I gather from your post that you didn't have to use the DNG converter? :thumbup:

Whoa lets not start redirecting the dude to another program just because he hit a bump. :lol:

I did not realize that was the case. Sorry. I thought I placed the link to the Camera Raw Download. Either way the plug-ins should be by default already installed and you can get those same updates using the update feature in the Bridge.

Help ---> Updates

Most reactions

Back