RAW+JPEG

I should mention that I shoot almost exclusively JPEG for personal photos. I simply haven't got the time to fart around with raw processing for that stuff, and the camera does a pretty good job with conversions. I'm not printing these things wall sized, I'm not looking for critical color, I'm looking for more or less properly exposed pictures of my daughter opening her christmas presents. I use raw only when I am working without a meter (a surprising amount of the time) or for serious work where I am aiming to spend so-and-so many hours and produce one or two final images, if things go well.

To be honest, the commercial people who work raw and process massive collections of raw stuff boggle my mind. I can't work out how on earth I would ever manage that.

Just ordered the mk iii myself. Never would have thought to try that. Then again. I don't think mine will ever see an SD card. lol

You did too! Oh good, you will love it! It is amazing. The focus and iso capabilities is a completely different world. I had a wedding on New Years Eve and I was shooting in the 8,000 iso range and you can't even tell. I should post a SOOC pic for you. Oh, and the WB is DEAD ON in the church. My work flow is going to be so much faster now. I frickin' hate editing, so anything that gets me away from my computer is worth its weight in gold.

So why do I stay with RAW+JPG? I prefer to make my initial 'keep/no keep' decisions with a full screen image using MS Photoviewer or whatever it's called under Win7. It automatically 'skips over' the RAWs. It's quick to display the next JPG image as well. When I see a loser, I simply click on both the RAW and JPG for that image in the folder, and they're gone. I knock off perhaps 30-40% of the images that way. To me, a single click to see the full-screen image and one click zoom-in to check details is a lot faster than several clicks/drag in Lightroom 4 and a couple more clicks to delete an image on the drive.

Sounds like you're not using Lightroom correctly / efficiently. One-click to zoom in and out, Delete key on the keyboard to delete an image. When I read your workflow above, it appears you're spending more time making "keep/no keep" decisions in your RAW+JPG workflow outside of Lightroom then you could / should be if you just shot RAW only and immediately jumped into Lightroom for your first pass.

...That way, if I have free time at work, I can make the first pass JPG only deletions at work, then simply 'match' the RAW folder against the JPG folder, and delete unmatched RAWs before going into Lightroom.

Ugh. You keep using the word "simply" but your workflow sounds awful. Viewing images in one app, deleting RAW's & JPG's in another app, and manually matching JPG's and RAW's later? All prior to importing into Lightroom? Sorry, this isn't simple. What *IS* simple is shooting RAW only, importing everything into Lightroom, using the left and right arrow keys to navigate images, and pressing the Delete key on images you don't like. Done. As well as pressing the number keys to immediately assign a star rating to pictures you want to go back and edit later.

Last edited:
The problem I have is this. I take bunch of photos in several weeks. Upload them (takes a while) and leave the computer and forget about it. Then wife complains that she doesnt have the pictures (cant see the jpegs). LOL.

It sounds like shooting RAW+JPG is your solution to giving your wife quick access to your images before you process them, correct? What does your wife do with these images? Does she email them to friends and family, post them to Facebook, etc? If you're shooting JPG in Fine / Large on your camera, then aren't your JPG's several MB's, making them too large to efficiently share without post processing them anyway?

How about this..

Create a Lightroom export preset for say 800x600 and a quality of 50 so your JPG's are just a couple hundred KB. Create a folder on your hard drive called "wifes pics" or whatever and point your export preset at this folder. Then do this..

1. Shoot RAW only.
2. Import directly into Lightroom.
3. Once imported, press CTRL+A then press CTRL+SHIFT+E, select your export preset, hit OK, and leave the computer and forget about it.

You win because you're taking up less card storage on your camera while shooting, less storage on your computer because your JPG's are smaller, you can still post-process your RAW's at your leisure without your wife nagging you :) , and you've added less than a minute of effort to your workflow. And your wife wins because she has immediate access to the photos in her own dedicated folder that she can do whatever she wants with without impacting your original RAW's, and her images are easier for her to manage and share because they're smaller than the JPG's straight out of the camera would have been.

Yeah, LOL.. I bought it in 2012 :).. the last day of 2012 :). It is not here yet.

Ok, so I just bought a 5D3. I am thinking about setting the SD card to take high res JPEGs while the CF card take RAW. For those of you who take RAW+JPG, what is your workflow? I admit, I am getting overwhelmed with my PERSONAL photos. I am way behind with my RAW processing. Share your workflow? This is mostly for personal photos.

You jumped on board huh? I don't shoot in both RAW + JPEG. There is no reason to unless you want to use it as a back up or you want to do a quick slideshow during a wedding or something. It is just another feature that is available. Let me know what you think of your new piece of gear.

Bought mine on the 1st day of 2013 from B&H. They had slightly better swag at slightly lower price. I plan on starting RAW+JPG with the two card setup. Once I evaluate A) if the speed affects my shooting and B)Is there any pros/cons to the camera processing vs DPP or LR. This will be for snaps or shots I feel need no further processing, cropping, or anything else. Otherwise, my workflow will remain the same as today with the addition of another backup.

I am also considering using an SD adapter for the SDHC card so I can look at them in the field in my tablet - but again, that may be more trouble than it's worth. Hopefully, I will adapt a process I am comfortable with before I go to Europe in late April. Last trip with a similar itinerary, I fired about 2k frames, so I need to be sure I am covered on cards prior to then.

I only use Raw + Jpeg(small) for weddings and such as we set up a slideshow while the guests eat. I have an older iMac that we set on a table with the slide show running and cards with my information. This works as long as you don't have to do a lot of PP. I just adjust contrast and maybe turn some black and white. I usually only have 15-20 minutes to set it up.

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

The problem I have is this. I take bunch of photos in several weeks. Upload them (takes a while) and leave the computer and forget about it. Then wife complains that she doesnt have the pictures (cant see the jpegs). LOL.

It sounds like shooting RAW+JPG is your solution to giving your wife quick access to your images before you process them, correct? What does your wife do with these images? Does she email them to friends and family, post them to Facebook, etc? If you're shooting JPG in Fine / Large on your camera, then aren't your JPG's several MB's, making them too large to efficiently share without post processing them anyway?

How about this..

Create a Lightroom export preset for say 800x600 and a quality of 50 so your JPG's are just a couple hundred KB. Create a folder on your hard drive called "wifes pics" or whatever and point your export preset at this folder. Then do this..

1. Shoot RAW only.
2. Import directly into Lightroom.
3. Once imported, press CTRL+A then press CTRL+SHIFT+E, select your export preset, hit OK, and leave the computer and forget about it.

You win because you're taking up less card storage on your camera while shooting, less storage on your computer because your JPG's are smaller, you can still post-process your RAW's at your leisure without your wife nagging you :) , and you've added less than a minute of effort to your workflow. And your wife wins because she has immediate access to the photos in her own dedicated folder that she can do whatever she wants with without impacting your original RAW's, and her images are easier for her to manage and share because they're smaller than the JPG's straight out of the camera would have been.
That's exactly how I deal with a pile of kid's party pictures or whatever - stuff I want to get out to someone quick as a collection of JPGs. Then I can process individual ones I really like at my leisure. It's so fast and easy, there's just no excuse to do it any other way, in my book.

Most reactions

Back