RAW to JPG conversion

ksasidhar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I took some pictures in NEF format from my Nikon camera. White balance of the images look fine when I viewed the NEF images from my computer. However, when I converted it to JPG, the colors had more hazy color. I was using the NEF to JPG converter which had an option of maintaining white balance if possible. When I selected the option, I was able to obtain JPG images with white balance closer to my NEF images. Below are the links for 2 images, first link is the JPG image without selecting the option of maintaining white balance and the second link is the one where white balance was maintained during the conversion. Can you please explain why the NEF images seem to have better white balance than the JPG images.

NEF to JPG without maintaining WB
NEF to JPG while maintaining WB

I was trying to edit the NEF images using photostudio darkroom software. When I loaded the NEF image, the data showed the temperature as around 9400K and the image had predominantly hazy color to it. While, as far as I understand, the daylight temperatures are around 3000K and white balance in NEF images when opened in windows software looked as if taken in normal lighting as I had mentioned earlier.

Thank you all.

It's probably down to the fact that you are viewing the nef on raw conversion software and the jpeg in Windows.

These problems, or similar often pop up their heads, and it's usually down to whether software is colour managed or not. This is a big area and one I'm not very knowledgeable in, someone else may come along and explain better, but I'd imagine it's the basis of the problem

Thanks for your reply Jaomul. I was viewing both NEF and JPG images in Windows software. So I am not sure if anything could have been different there. And as I mentioned in the 2nd para, when I tried to open NEF image in editing software, it showed the same hazy color as JPG did.

Windows is not a suitable software for viewing raw files, it doesn't give a proper rendering.

I suggest you download a free trial version of Lightroom, or dxo optics or even capture one just to look at, and you'll see what I mean, or even the raw software that came with your camera

Lightroom is amazing so as above get the free trial

NEF and other Raw files have a 16-bit color depth.
JPEG is limited to an 8-bit color depth and JPEG also compresses the file to reduce the file size.

16- bit color can code 16,384 colors per color channel.
8-bit color can only code 256 colors per color channel.
Digital photos have 3 color channels - Red (R), Green (G), and Blue (B) or RGB.

Bit Depth
Image Posterization
Understanding Digital Camera Histograms: Tones and Contrast
Understanding Digital Camera Histograms: Luminosity and Color

Most of the JPEG file compression is gained by locking groups of pixels into Minimum Coded Units. The groups can be 8x8 pixel, 8x16 pixel or 16x16 pixel groups.
Image Types: JPEG & TIFF File Formats

The daylight color temperature falls between 5000° K and 6000° K depending on the angle of the light.

Hi all,

I took some pictures in NEF format from my Nikon camera. White balance of the images look fine when I viewed the NEF images from my computer. However, when I converted it to JPG, the colors had more hazy color. I was using the NEF to JPG converter which had an option of maintaining white balance if possible. When I selected the option, I was able to obtain JPG images with white balance closer to my NEF images. Below are the links for 2 images, first link is the JPG image without selecting the option of maintaining white balance and the second link is the one where white balance was maintained during the conversion. Can you please explain why the NEF images seem to have better white balance than the JPG images.

NEF to JPG without maintaining WB
NEF to JPG while maintaining WB

I was trying to edit the NEF images using photostudio darkroom software. When I loaded the NEF image, the data showed the temperature as around 9400K and the image had predominantly hazy color to it. While, as far as I understand, the daylight temperatures are around 3000K and white balance in NEF images when opened in windows software looked as if taken in normal lighting as I had mentioned earlier.

Thank you all.

Can you be more specific about the software you're using? Do you mean this: ArcSoft PhotoStudio-a powerful, feature-rich but easy-to-use photo editing application

Joe

Hi Joe, I was using free software ofcalled arcsoft photostudio darkroom 2. When I opened the nef image with this software, imagehad hazy color and when I opened same nef image with a normal windows software, white balance seemed normal.

Nikon's NEF format is raw data coded in a specific code devised by Nikon. JPG files are also coded but in a code designed by a committee and made a standard. If you use off the shelf software to look at a JPG file it's seeing in a standard way but with NEF/raw files the specific software is deciding how to convert the code to a visible picture. Nikon software might interpret the temperature at one number while Adobe interprets at another and a free converter still another.
A long way to say differences are not unexpected.

Hi Joe, I was using free software ofcalled arcsoft photostudio darkroom 2. When I opened the nef image with this software, imagehad hazy color and when I opened same nef image with a normal windows software, white balance seemed normal.

Be sure to check if you have the codec installed to view the actual NEF file in Windows (there is the Microsoft Camera Codec pack). I believe the NEF file includes an embedded JPEG and that could be what you are looking at (not all manufacturers embed a jpeg in their RAW file).

If you don't have LightRoom yet then you could just download the current Nikon software. That is a good option for checking the look of the NEF file with their conversion with any other software you might use. With LightRoom I have the option of selecting from 11 different Camera Profiles and each of them give a different rendering of the NEF file.

I do have the Nikon Capture NX-D software installed. I almost never use it, but it does let you see a NEF file with the Nikon secret sauce applied. It shows the NEF file with the same Picture Controls applied that you set in the camera body and you can then change those Picture Controls to the other options that are in the camera (and in the case of using an older camera you can update to the latest set of Picture Controls so you have more selections available).

I am looking at a picture right now in both LR and NX-D and in NX-D the persons face looks to have perfect exposure while in LR with no settings changed the face has some hot spots that are slightly more noticeable (Camera Profile set to Adobe Standard in LR). However, I would much rather process the image in LR rather than in NX-D.

The JPEG embedded in a Raw file is a thumbnail file intended for display on the cameras rear LCD since the camera is incapable of showing the Raw file.

Thanks all for the suggestions. From what I understand, I have to use correct software to ensure the image comes out as taken when operating in RAW mode.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back