Raw vs Jpeg?

For a good cook, they usually choose to cook from a RAW food so that he/she can control everything from start to finish. However, is it possible to prepare a good dinner with pre-made or pre-cook ingredients (like Frozen ravioli with pre-made sauce in a jar)? Yes, but you are going to be limited by that. Of course, it take up less space in your pantry nor your fridge and it take less time to prepare.

For me, who had never made Ravioli in the past, frozen ravioli with pre-made sauce is going to taste better than if I use all RAW materials and it is faster. However, for a experience chief, I am sure he/she will start with the RAW materials for better control.

Same thing apply to RAW vs Jpeg. You take a photo as jpeg format based on Camera company cooking procedures. If the end result is what you want anyway, why not. However, if you think you like to prepare (Post production) the image based on your own style (cooking procedures), it is better to shoot RAW since it gives you more data to work with.

But of course, there are times that shooting jpeg is preferred. If you need to shoot a lot of photos in a very short time such as action or sports photos. Shooting with Jpeg maybe better.

Jpeg is the Camera's "Opinion" if you will, of what the image should look like. ............

It's not the camera's opinion. Cameras have no opinions... they are incapable of thinking. They can only perform the actions we choose to have them make.

A raw images is simply all the data from the sensor converted from analog to digital. JPEGSs is that data with all the settings we have chosen applied to that data.... white balance, sharpness, saturation, noise reduction, etc, and the data that is not used to perform these actions are not saved.

Let's say you order a turkey & bacon, with Swiss, on white bread at a restaurant. If you eat it that way, that's a JPEG. But if you are shooting raw, you're able to go back into the kitchen and change the turkey for ham, the Swiss for provolone, add some tomatoes, book the bacon more to make it crispier, change the white bread to wheat buns (toasted) with sesame seeds, and add mayo.

I've never seen a thread posted on this topic. Interesting read.

Jpeg is the Camera's "Opinion" if you will, of what the image should look like. ............

It's not the camera's opinion. Cameras have no opinions... they are incapable of thinking. They can only perform the actions we choose to have them make.

A raw images is simply all the data from the sensor converted from analog to digital. JPEGSs is that data with all the settings we have chosen applied to that data.... white balance, sharpness, saturation, noise reduction, etc, and the data that is not used to perform these actions are not saved.

Let's say you order a turkey & bacon, with Swiss, on white bread at a restaurant. If you eat it that way, that's a JPEG. But if you are shooting raw, you're able to go back into the kitchen and change the turkey for ham, the Swiss for provolone, add some tomatoes, book the bacon more to make it crispier, change the white bread to wheat buns (toasted) with sesame seeds, and add mayo.

Wow! Going to beat me up on how I used "Opinion". You see I put it in quotes... it wasn't intend as a literal meaning... thought that was clear, but yeah, I am the first person in the world to think that any machine is a live, thinking, being... Give me a break.

I suppose I should have said: You get to process RAW, but if you select Jpeg the camera handles that processing according to how it is A: set by you, and B: Programmed by the manufacturer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back