Re-Introducing myself because I have not been active in a long time!

Ah, you signed up ... great ... nice to see new blood to take up our knowledge.
Yeah… idk if I want to learn much camera repair beyond the basics.. that stuff is scary! Don’t get me wrong I love tinkering but I can’t sit still long enough to fix a camera, nor would I have the patience.

Yeah… idk if I want to learn much camera repair beyond the basics.. that stuff is scary! Don’t get me wrong I love tinkering but I can’t sit still long enough to fix a camera, nor would I have the patience.

You are at the best time in life to take this on ... heck, you built your own guitar !!! and you can play it (I did buy a Fender guitar but I could never get the hang of it). I spent many years breaking stuff, before I could acutally fix them, so do not be afraid ... and you learned film photography, which many people today struggle with.

You are at the best time in life to take this on ... heck, you built your own guitar !!! and you can play it (I did buy a Fender guitar but I could never get the hang of it). I spent many years breaking stuff, before I could acutally fix them, so do not be afraid ... and you learned film photography, which many people today struggle with.
Dang man, that actually made me smile and think about it. I posted a while back in the learn camera repair group (linked here) maybe I should revisit it and consider purchasing some of the tools and practice cameras they recommend.

Dang man, that actually made me smile and think about it. I posted a while back in the learn camera repair group (linked here) maybe I should revisit it and consider purchasing some of the tools and practice cameras they recommend.
Ah, now I know your name.
Hmmm, I did not notice that post on the FB page ... you may not get the best reception as a newbie but they all have good intentions.
Yes, the first step are the tools.

WorkTable by Dennis, on Flickr

Vessel TD-56S ... is a good set to start ... though you will eventually get more drivers.
You also need a Spanner Wrench
My bench is a collection over a decade.
Thank you for the recommendations! those seem much more expensive then I have seen similar items on amazon. I understand that amazon isn't always the best choice but for something like screwdrivers I feel like $25 is a bit much.

You can get some cheaper ones ... though if you go tooo cheap then you will end up buying a replacement set sooner than later.
When working on any Japanese cameras you will need JIS no Phillips cross heads.

Amazon Vessel TD-56S

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You can get some cheaper ones ... though if you go tooo cheap then you will end up buying a replacement set sooner than later.
When working on any Japanese cameras you will need JIS no Phillips cross heads.

Amazon Vessel TD-56S
Thank you! I'll add those to my cart, any good starter cameras to work on? I remember the facebook group mentioned the argus C-3 and C-4 and the early pentax's

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Argus C-3 is one of the cameras that is used in the National Repair Course.
A cheap folding camera like the Agfa Isollete will let you work on a leaf shutter.
Avoid anything that requires a battery for starters ... you want to start of with very mechanical cameras.

You can check out some cameras/shutters from my My Blog

The Argus C-3 is one of the cameras that is used in the National Repair Course.
A cheap folding camera like the Agfa Isollete will let you work on a leaf shutter.
Avoid anything that requires a battery for starters ... you want to start of with very mechanical cameras.

You can check out some cameras/shutters from my My Blog
Leaf Shutters! that reminds me I have an old kodak lens from an early 1900's folding camera that happens to not work correctly! I'll post some pictures of it if I can find it

Most reactions

Back