Readable Text from 92-years-old Photo Album

I5wwg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

I am working my way through hundreds (if not thousands) of family photos; some rather recent and others, like this one, almost a century old. In doing this work I'm using a relatively basic scanner coupled with the VueScan software, and then doing basic editing using the free-to-use Irfanview. So far I'm happy with the results.

The current group of photos on my list come from what I am sure is the original photo album, from the wedding of my grandparents. All of the photos are, of course, glued to this heavy paper in the album. And on that paper is what looks to me to be white-pencil writing. I've been able to make out all of it so far, but this one in particular (and probably others to come) has me stumped.

Within Irfanview I've been using the Effects Browser, as well as the Sharpen and Auto-Adjust Colors features. The Effects Browser, as some of you may know, has quite a few effects that can be applied to a photo. To date I've found Rock, Relief and Emboss to be the most helpful in deciphering these texts. Also, the Negative feature has helped. But for this photo in particular, none of those has worked.

Now, as much as I'd like to avoid purchasing software to remedy this situation, I realize that there just may not be a free program that can do what I need. And it also may be the case that no software can do what I need.

But, hope springs eternal, as is often said. So I'm wondering if anyone can guide me to a remedy, in whatever form it may take. Still, something free would be preferred, especially if I already have it (like Irfanview, Lightbox, gimp, Paint.net, PhotoFiltre and Photoscape).

Thanks so much for whatever help I can get.

Wedding.jpg

Last edited:
Try illuminating with different light sources (IR, UV, etc) and colours/temperatures and photographing. It's likely that under certain wavelengths the writing will show more than others. As well, try illuminating from a very low angle which may help by producing shadows if there are even the slightest depressions in the paper.

I had not considered those options; thanks much. Perhaps placing some lightweight paper over the text and then going over that with a pencil might produce something readable..... Thanks again.

first try a blacklight.
then IR and filters.

tirediron is correct that the color signatures may still be intact.

Within Irfanview is the option to "Show Channel" with sub-options of "Red," "Green" and "Blue." Is this the same thing as doing what you and tirediron suggest? Even if not, I have tried that (I forgot to mention as much in my original post) and found it somewhat helpful.

Within Irfanview is the option to "Show Channel" with sub-options of "Red," "Green" and "Blue." Is this the same thing as doing what you and tirediron suggest? Even if not, I have tried that (I forgot to mention as much in my original post) and found it somewhat helpful.

So what were eluding to is this:

No filter on any program will work.

It has to be the reflected light from another source onto the subject, then captured in a photograph that can filter out other light to bring out the signature.

The blacklight I was referring to is taking a photograph of the picture again but under a blacklight or another source light to cause that light to be reflected by the remnants of the lost signature.

So what were eluding to is this:

No filter on any program will work.

It has to be the reflected light from another source onto the subject, then captured in a photograph that can filter out other light to bring out the signature.

The blacklight I was referring to is taking a photograph of the picture again but under a blacklight or another source light to cause that light to be reflected by the remnants of the lost signature.

Ok. I appreciate your simplistic explanation, although I figured that at the outset. Simple is always best for me, though. I'll start shopping. Thanks.

Should have the UV light in my hands Monday. Very, very interested to see if it's able to give me that readable text. And I do plan to update here once I get going with it.

Thank you to all.

Update....

Got the UV light today and find myself absolutely mesmerized by this thing. I've been walking around the house, shining it on the walls, floor, ceilings...startling, to be honest. I think I would not buy another vehicle or house without using one of these to inspect it.

Anyway, back to the topic. It works super on the photos in question. I'm not sure I'll be able to get every jot and tittle unscrambled, but so far it's been doing a great job.

So once more, just a huge "thank you!" for the help. I'm grateful to you all.

Most reactions

Back