Reading between the lines around here

Who would "the usual suspects" be, Alex???

some people on here ;) ... and it used to be also myself, but recent months were so busy I hardly managed to reply in any way which needed brainwork.

Thanks Lacey! I think the kid's photographers gotta stick together ;) And thanks for the offer, Traveler. Now your stuck with me ;)

o.k. I am totally guilty!!!... I am one of those memebers that look at photos and don't critic on them, blaming the fact that I am new at photography and feel underqualify to critic the work of others. But I have learned something very important today: No matter what to critc the work as the-traveler said could be another way to learn...
Critiquing a posted picture is almost as valuable to the critic as the photographer, especially for someone who is a beginner. Do you think the picture is good? Why? Is it the content, the color, the composition? This the opportunity to create a learning experience.

Don't undercut your comments by saying 'well, I'm just new' or something like that. A picture is not good or bad, depending on who sees it.

my 2 cents...

Can we also add people who say "Those shots are pretty good for a beginner" If the shot is good its good, if its ok its ok, if it sucks it sucks.

My room is clean
My room is kinda clean

I love you with all my heart
I love you with all my heart....sorta.

Dimitri someone yeah but that's what I see when someone says for a beginner after compliment.

Sometimes I comment and sometimes I don't....

If I have something to say i will, and if I don't I won't. If I don't, it doesn't mean your photos suck. Mostly it just means you might have a totally different style than I do, are shooting totally different things, or seem to be going for a totally different look or method of post-processing in which case I'm just not going to be able to help very much. I might not know "how" to critique your shots. I also might not comment because if I'm surfing from work I have firewall issues where pretty much all of the photo hosting sites out there are blocked except for a few specific ones and I can't see your photos in the first place. I might try to remind myself to look later, but don't always remember, and usually have stuff to do at home too. I don't live on forums either. I'm a member of a few others, and sometimes post on those instead, or might not be on at all.

I'm more likely to comment if you seem to have a similar style to me and thus I could give a far more relevant critique. A lot of times people post that they're having issues but don't bother to post a sample photo that represents their issue, in which case it's stabbing in the dark trying to offer suggestions. Post a photo, post the EXIF data, and it's easy to figure out if your equipment was ok but you just needed more appropriate settings, or if your settings were right but you had equipment limitations and might need better gear, or a different technique.

Lastly, everybody is here voluntarily on their own free time, including probably most of the moderators too. There's no full-time paid photo critiquer or advice giver. It's impossible to read every post and reply to every thread, and answer every question, but collectively the group as a whole can come close. It doesn't mean people won't occasionally fall through the cracks, and when the person that would have been able to critique or help in some way comes on, they're not necessarily going to go back through hundreds if not thousands of posts/threads and find yours and still have the time to critique it.

Lastly, everybody is here voluntarily on their own free time, including probably most of the moderators too. There's no full-time paid photo critiquer or advice giver. It's impossible to read every post and reply to every thread, and answer every question, but collectively the group as a whole can come close. It doesn't mean people won't occasionally fall through the cracks, and when the person that would have been able to critique or help in some way comes on, they're not necessarily going to go back through hundreds if not thousands of posts/threads and find yours and still have the time to critique it.

I think thats quite obvious.

I've been around the forum world long enough to gather that much.

More or less, I'm trying to gather the reasons why people will or won't reply to a thread. I know my own.

I know people have lives, I know I certainly don't LIVE on the forum. can't reply to every thread.. obvious stuff. Just curious as to how people would reply when asked- what motivates YOU to reply to any given thread.. Great answers in this thread actually.

That might be an idea to a have a sticky thread in photo discussions where people could post a link to their on-site threads where they want C/C. Then a viewer could look at this thread and see all the C/C threads they haven't looked at yet.

(If that is garbled, it's probably because i'm heavily medicated)

I don't think wanting C&C makes you insecure. I want it because I want to learn. I know I'm not the best photographer by far but I want to continually improve. My work has grown by leaps and bounds just by posting here. And I've only been a member since March. I value that knowledge so I value the C&C.

I didn't say that your insecure. I apologise if that's how it came across. I said you are probably overreacting to people not posting responses to your photos, because I don't think it means they're bad or mediocre at all.

I think overreacting is probably good, though, cause it shows you have a desire to get better (in other words, if you were complacent with your work, it would plateau). I'm not a photographer (I don't deserve that title yet, I just take photos), but that goes for any industry, and any craft, art, or skill you desire to be better at.

I was trying to give you a compliment. I'm sorry once again if it came across wrongly. BTW There's nothing wrong with being insecure. I'm VERY insecure, but I'm still cool ;) )

Here is my thoughts on why I do or do not post remarks about pictures.
1) I am not new to photography but am new here and don't really feel comfortable giving my opinion a lot.
2) I am busy, have only a few minutes at a time here and don't have time to post.
3) I don't like the picture.
4) I don't like it enough to say anything.
5) I have responded to a few pictures because they have really wowed or inspired me.

Don't read to much into it. Sometimes people just can't be bothered.

eta that often when people do give a c&c of others pictures, they get jumped on for being critical. It's hard to say, "that's nice" over and over to mediocre pictures, but often, as seen right in this very forum, when people tell the truth, it is not received in the manner in which it was intended, which is to help. A lot of times people just want praise and get upset when someone tells them the truth.

Quite honestly, I don't usually comment on really good pictures. I look, I say "wow, that is nice" to myself, and I move on. I usually look at the good pictures for a while and I read through everyone's comments on them to learn what I can from the picture, but I rarely have much to say. The times I usually comment are when I see something that can be improved. While I'm still quite the amateur, I can take what I have learned and pass that on to others. That helps me just as much as actually getting out there and taking my own shots.

However, I usually know when the photo can only be fixed with knowledge beyond what I possess, and then I shut up :)

I work, as always was and I think always will. I read a lot of books and mags too, but lately (about 3 years) I mostly read short articles and every sort of discussions on the net. Science, religion, politics, bussines, military, computers - and ofcourse photography and what elses.

Just today about 1/2 an hour ago actually I just came across another new thing, an amazing mind bogling news.

Colin Maclaurin was one of the student of the famous Isaac Newton, so I read. And in 1717 he became the youngest college professor. Almost 300 years has passed he was the sole unchallenge title holder. Well that title was finally broken on february this year. This person, last february became the youngest title holder 3 days short of ??? 19th birthday.

Don't you want to know who this person is? This person's parent origin can cause President Bush's breath choked I believe:mrgreen:.

Anyway that's why I am considered as a busy guy, so you must forgive me without delay - or else.

Have fun.

Oh sure, Victoria, what you are saying is another thing that applies to me. There are some posters on here whose photos are consistently good, so good (each and every one of their pics) that all I can ever do is look in awe.

And with several of them I seem to have run out of adjectives already and no longer know what new words to use to praise their work. So - sad as it may be - those photos remain uncommented by LaFoto... (Sorry Andy, our lost prophet, for example).

About 6 months to a year ago I used to try and reply to every single thread in the then Landscape / Nature gallery.

I basically stopped because I got a bit fed up with being the only person who replied and the fact that there were a few so called know it all members who started complaining when I would reply to posts with 'nice shot' or 'I like it' etc etc. So I thought whats the point and now I only really reply if the shot is something I really like or if its posted by a friend of mine. Guess its a shame really but thats what happens when you get a few idiots on a forum, they stop members from posting.

Really good topic, Kelly, thanks for bringing it up. So many enlightening comments, I hope you will read my entire comment and understand it in the spirit in which it was meant. I am also a writer...so I write...please excuse the length.

I am a photographer. I do this for a living…albeit a small one, so I need to get better. When I found this forum after lurking for a while and having seen some really awesome images I thought, dang, I want to capture images like that. It’s as good as an online course…and you can’t beat the price. And then…

I began posting. Obviously my images were not nearly as good as those I had seen, but how to get there, I ask myself. My first image, though good and saleable (I know, because it was sold) could be improved in sooooo many ways and my eyes began to open. Wow, what a wake up call. I received 7 excellent comments and assistance. Those 7 comments had improved my photography already, and I know I am in the right place…so I continue. I stepped out of my rather small comfort zone and posted something I had liked but knew problems existed. Two comments later, my theory was confirmed…not a good image…get back to the drawing board…My photography skills improved again and I thanked the two folks who bothered to critique, you begin to be my heroes.

Then I see a pattern as Kelly and others describe. That is, perhaps one or two comments per post and maybe not even one. My next theory is that I need to critique others and they will see that I’m serious and they will critique mine. Yeah, that’s the ticket…so I begin posting to other’s threads and giving what I think is serious, honest yet gentle criticism. It didn’t work. Didn’t get any more folks to critique my images.

I’ve tried everything. Posting just one image, posting 2, posting 3, and posting 7, with just one or two comments, without bumps. Hmmm, I can’t figure it out. At one point I thought the subject line needed to be something catchy. Not “For C&C Please”. That never seems to get a critique. Then I thought I’d make a foray into the discussion area…you know to…uhh…make contacts. Oooooo, biiiiig mistake. Although I thought it was a topic worth discussing, I quickly realized I was getting the wrong type of attention and everything I was trying to say was misinterpreted. I was even called “brainless” by one ignoramus and no one even came to my aid, as if I deserved that. If anything, one other poster came to his aid explaining to me why he called me brainless for my bad choice of font! Fonts! Sheesh, how off topic can one get! By the way, the one other person I began to have an enlightened conversation with hasn’t posted since the uncomfortable and mean spirited finger wagging that ensued…I think that’s the forum’s loss. I can tell you, I for one will never make the mistake again of having a discussion in that area. Some who post there hardly post images of their own and those they have posted are mediocre at best. They are hurtful and mean spirited folks and are not the people I care to associate with. Another wake up call. This forum isn’t perfect. Since then I’ve seen some folks come down on others for poor spelling! I don’t mean poor spelling in the discussion area, I mean poor spelling in the critique areas! I tell myself…hmmm…no wonder this place is free.

Bottom line is that many of us welcome honest, but respectful, and yes, gentle critiques. You can say what you mean without saying, “this composition just DOES NOT WORK.” No caps necessary, I say.

I only have time to post, on average, about 3 or 4 posts a day. If I’ve critiqued your image, well then, you touched me, and that’s pretty much how I choose. I sometimes post a critique to another because I think the image needs to be bumped for more, but the OP hadn’t done it. And then…I realize, wow, that’s the criteria others are using as well…I must touch them. Now, this criterion does not work if I’m looking for assistance with a portfolio, because the subject may not touch many of the viewers, and yet, these are the images (and subjects) I have to work with. One or two critiques just are not enough when one is assessing the viability of images to add to a portfolio, or the viability of images similar to the ones posted. One needs many more eyes on it and many more opinions.

So this is where I am with my photo forum development: If I’ve had 30 – 100 looky-loos and 0 to 2 comments, even if they say, “my fave is #1”, or something similar…that’s a critique in itself. If I still don’t believe it got a fair assessment I may bump it, but for the most part, I know that something about the image failed the populace. If I like the image anyway, I can still hang it in my home or my studio and enjoy.

I wish I could PM certain respected and hand picked folks in this online community to pay special attention to the images I have posted and get a personal but serious critique from them. Alas, these people seem to be the, you know, in-crowd. You know who you are. Folks like me hope for your input, for we don’t have to be told your images are great, we have eyes. On other photography forums I belong to, there seem to be people with expertise in certain areas and they always feel compelled to give honest and instructive criticism in their areas. Portrait photography. Landscape photography. Wildlife photography. They are very instructional. You may say, why don’t I just go over there, huh. Well, to be honest…how shall I say this…they are just soooo damn good that I think I’ll just hone my skills for a while before I post there. Some on this forum bill it as the “friendly” forum. I think that may be a euphemism for the “beginner to intermediate” forum. I know, I know, there are some really awesome images posted here; posted by truly talented professionals (and non-professionals), and those are the people the rest of us look up to. My lowly self wishes to learn to critique properly as well as learn to grow from C&C received. I’ve taken a couple of photography courses over the years and I have never felt badly about any negative C&C I received in the classroom. I wish for that to happen here. I need more C&C so I can practice!

So you talented photographers, you know who you are. You’re the ones who get much of the attention; whose images get 10-20 comments and hundreds of views; you are the folks we look to for assistance. Too much of a burden for you? Too bad. That’s why the rest of us are here. You are the ones who make this the “friendliest” photography forum out there. You may have a larger responsibility than you are willing to accept or that you have time for. That’s okay, just do what you can because the rest of us are watching.

And if anyone even dares to hammer me for poor spelling, grammar, punctuation or font color or choices, this will be my last post, for that is not what I put myself out here for. I’m just another photo hump trying to make a living.

Most reactions

Back