Ready to get more serious about photography...

cosmicmama

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. I've been a shutterbug since I got my first camera at age 6. As an adult I've been the one who takes all the photos at family functions, etc. I've always just spent the money for a good quality point and shoot, but never felt justified in spending the big bucks to get a serious camera. Well, I'm pushing 40 now, and dammit! I'm not going to feel guilty about spending money on a hobby of mine! Ha...so...

I'm looking for my first digital SLR. I'm a total beginner when it comes to things such as lenses, exposure, and all that. I'm leaning towards the Canon Rebel XTi. Is this a good choice? I have a great eye for composition, if I do say so myself, so I think I'm going to be pretty good once I learn how to use the camera. I would love to do some semi-professional work down the road. I love photographing people, but more in candid, action shots than portraits. I also love landscapes, graveyards, old abandoned shacks on the side of the road (I live in rural NC and there are alot of those), and beaches. Any suggestions on what camera and/or accesories I need? I'd like to keep the total budget under $1000 right now.

You have the right idea with the XTi. Maybe the 20d, or 30d though since they're in your budget. Just get the 50mm 1.8 instead of the kit lens, and you'll save a bit and also get a better lens. Then go from there.

Would agree with the suggestion on the kit lens - I hate mine with a passion usually only reserved for cheap kitchen knives found in self-catering holiday apartments. The build quality is extremely poor and the whole thing feels flimsy. I will get the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM to replace it as soon as is reasonably feasible.

Would agree with the suggestion on the kit lens - I hate mine with a passion usually only reserved for cheap kitchen knives found in self-catering holiday apartments.
1st Prize: Metaphor of the week!

The XTi is a good camera, you'll be quite happy with it - and there are lots of people on this forum and elsewhere who know it quite well, and will be able to give you lots of pointers. Don't forget ot read the manual, of course.

Get something better than the kit lens, but if it comes with it, use it for a while and see what you're shooting a lot. Wish it was wider? Or got kids out on the playing field, so you need to get closer? Want more artsy look with shallow DOF portraits?

Wait and see what "develops"...

I think if you can afford it and you are serious about becoming more serious in photography a 40D might be a better way to go http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518207-REG/Canon_1901B004_EOS_40D_SLR_Digital.html . It is closer to a "professional" body and later on if you move up this body will still be useful to you. I know alot of people on here tout the 50mm 1.8 as the end all be all for lenses but in my opinion a better option to pair with the 40D might be the 35mm 2.0 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12119-USA/Canon_2507A002_Wide_Angle_EF_35mm.html personally I think this is a better more all around useful focal-length and this is pretty close in price to the 50. If you go for both of these you are talking about $1600 or so for the combo but it is definately worth it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back