Ready to Kill My Dog.

Saddlebreds4me

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok - this is just a vent and if there is a more appropriate place for this, by all means mods, please move it.

I went out to dinner tonight with some good friends - I've been in all week, thought I would treat myself to a night with the girls.

Back in October of last year, I rescued a one year old Basset Hound - she really is quite a nice dog and I already have an 8 year old Basset - so I'm familiar with the breed and their capabilities - so I know we are still in a puppy stage and that EVERYTHING needs to be out of her reach.

Believe me when I say my fireplace mantle looks like a garage sale - with remotes, magazines, Yankee candles, books, etc...

I came home tonight to find a pair of my slippers totally ripped apart - not acceptable but definitely my fault for leaving them out.

THEN I FOUND MY SB800 SPEEDLIGHT IN HER DOG BED - I almost threw up when I saw it. I had all of my equipment securely placed out of her reach (or so I thought) and there the flash was, with a cracked shield on the flash - other than that, it looked ok. I haven't tested it yet.

I feel ill and just had to vent - don't know if anyone here can relate - I love this dog dearly but tonight, she tested my limits.

As I type I am headed for a glass of cabernet.

I went to Nikon school today and was really happy with how the day went and that I learned so much...now this.

UFB.

Thanks for letting me vent - and yes it's ok to laugh!!! I had to or else I'd cry!

LOL sorry I can totally relate to that. We have 4 dogs and they are always doing things like this. Luckily we dont have the destructive issues but they are clumsy and always knocking stuff down and over. My camera has been the victim a few times. Luckily no damage was done to my camera.

steez...

I think it was more that I came home to a disaster with the slippers - so there was "slipper residue" if you will from stem to stern in this condo and then to see the flash - I think it was more emotional than physical - but you know it was that sinking, ill feeling that it had been destroyed.

Having said that you are 100% right - it's JUST STUFF - it really shouldn't matter - there are much bigger things in life - I just lost my brother six months ago - I guess a flash really doesn't matter at all. Thank you for your post.

duude. holy crap man. I would absolutely die if Shammy ever got ahold of any of my camera stuff. (well, my came with an old Olypus trip 35. I beleive its GAF MEMOLITE...probaly worth no more than 10 bucks but HOLY MACARONI IS IT BRIGHT! and my dog is a Shih Tzu....so i dont think hes going to get onto my dresser to well....)

Look at it this way; if you ship the flash to me untested, you'll never know if she actually broke it or not, so you can just go on with life feeling that you've done a good deed.

:D

I have two mischievous dogs myself and yes they do get into things that get me very upset so I do understand your frustration. The big guy in my avatar used to get into so much trouble when he was a puppy and even now at 5 years old he still acts like a puppy. But in the end it's really our own fault. You can't blame the dog for something that could've been prevented. They don't know they're chewing on an expensive piece of equipment. All they know is that they HAVE to chew something.

Look at it this way; if you ship the flash to me untested, you'll never know if she actually broke it or not, so you can just go on with life feeling that you've done a good deed.

:D

Thank you for making me smile :D.

Thank you. Everyone. Really - maybe she was just telling me I needed to get clear on what is really important.

i understand its upsetting...but vomiting?
"the things you own end up owning you"

I think I would have thrown up..... items that cost more than 100.00 here have to be researched and budgeted and totally saved up for. A 400+ flash would have looked like throwing 400.00 down the drain and would have been devestating for me.

Hope the flash functions okay!

My dog (also a Basset!) has gone through 2.5 remotes, and a Blackberry Pearl which was not mine.

MBasile - nice to meet another slave - I mean person owned by a Basset!
:mrgreen:

I think I failed to mention in my original post that she also got a hold of the second house phone. (AND ate my aunt's cell phone that I had to replace...I'm convinced she's running a 900 line out of this condo) Keep in mind, that in order to do that, she HAD to have counter surfed, and pulled the phone off the bar - yeah...that would be the second phone this week. It's a good thing I have four handsets.

It's a good thing I am so in love with this breed - I'd be majorly tested otherwise...I think.

Do you have photos of your hound anywhere? I'd love to see him/her.

wow, im terribly sorry for your loss. as sorry as internet sorrow can be felt. i can understand your emotional stress, but dont get stressed about things that can be replaced, just say to yourself, "its just a flash! i can got to calumet and grab another", or- perhaps its still under warranty? i talk myself into feeling better all the time. its the only way i can keep myself going and get that rent money in on time! lol

Thanks so very much - needless to say the holidays were tough...really tough.

You are so right - it's just stuff. It's not under warranty and I think it will be ok, but I really needed that perspective - so thanks so much and for your concern. It's very much appreciated.

Wow! How did she get out of her crate to get to your stuff while you were away? :mrgreen:

I have a 6 month old yellow Lab. We crate trained her from the day we brought her home. She loves her crate and goes in for bed at night and any time we leave the house without her. There are times she goes in just to take a nap. Other times, she seemed like she was restless and nervous and wouldn't calm down until I told her to "go to bed" and she promptly went to her crate and went to sleep.

Crate training is the key, is a godsend, and the dog will love it (once she gets use to it.)

I have two mischievous dogs myself and yes they do get into things that get me very upset so I do understand your frustration. The big guy in my avatar used to get into so much trouble when he was a puppy and even now at 5 years old he still acts like a puppy. But in the end it's really our own fault. You can't blame the dog for something that could've been prevented. They don't know they're chewing on an expensive piece of equipment. All they know is that they HAVE to chew something.

You are right - it's my fault. I know she felt TERRIBLE when I came in, tail between legs and of course Bassets look sad regardless of how they really feel! So she knew that she had some stuff that was not acceptable - no one to blame but myself.

Lesson learned.

ypperin - I waited for a while to get that flash - so I can relate to saving up for it and to see it in a heap...yeah I was initially upset - but steez's post really hit home with me that it really is just stuff. I need to remember that. I certainly don't want or have money to throw away by any stretch but at the end of the day it can be replaced. So I hear you on saving up and seeing your prize go down the drain.

Wow! How did she get out of her crate to get to your stuff while you were away? :mrgreen:

I have a 6 month old yellow Lab. We crate trained her from the day we brought her home. She loves her crate and goes in for bed at night and any time we leave the house without her. There are times she goes in just to take a nap. Other times, she seemed like she was restless and nervous and wouldn't calm down until I told her to "go to bed" and she promptly went to her crate and went to sleep.

Crate training is the key, is a godsend, and the dog will love it (once she gets use to it.)

Crate training is great if your dog goes along with the deal. :)

My 8 year old Basset, Watson, I have had since he was 10 weeks old - I tried EVERYTHING with regard to crate training and getting him used to "his space" - he would or could never get himself used to the idea that was his space and it was 'safe'. He whined and cried until the cows came home - nothing I did worked with him in that respect. But eventually he outgrew his 'puppiness' and now he's fine - the rescue where I got MJ, my one year old, aka "the destroyer" asked that I not crate her because of her history. I was fine with that - as both of my dogs go to work with me almost everyday - so I can work around it.

Having said all of that...HAD she been crated, I'm convinced she would have definitely found a way out!!!

One of the many moments with my grandfather offering sage advice........ "That'll learn 'ya." :lol:

Sorry for the damage. It can likely be repaired though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back