Real Photography?

luvmyfamily said:
yeah, but there "was" an actual link...not just this one. This is where I went to try and find it.

That isn't the article??

You only have the right to define what YOU perceive as photography, not what others perceive as photography. Yes, some people do take it to extremes but why should what they do matter to anyone else? I've seen manufactured photographs, everyone here has.

You want the biggest fake photography in the world? Look no farther than television commercials. Those tantalizing grill marks on that juicy steak are frequently burned on with a soldering iron. Is that any worse than enhancing them with software? It's been around since the beginning of photography and it isn't going to go away. Just ignore it and move on.

My photog prof doesn't use photoshop and she never sets up shots, and she has an elitist attitude towards it.

Her photos aren't spectacular.

On another forum a group of ladies got together and are making a whole newborn safety packet to be passed online and at ob-gyns, pediatricians, hospitals, etc. People don't understand what goes into these photos and new photographers don't either so they attempt it without really any safety precautions. A lot of people dont realize these photos are composites which is scary.

Anyways the info pack is going to have a bunch of pictures - pullbacks to show how's it's down, the 2 pictures used to make the composite and other stuff.
There should be a fine print for the idiots:
This photograph was created by a professional, please do not attempt to do this at home.

yeah, but there "was" an actual link...not just this one. This is where I went to try and find it.

This is the link you're looking for which incidentally was linked in the link Bossy linked. :)

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! for posting this link. I love babies, but I have always been petrified of the thought of actually shooting someones child other than my own only because like she says even on the bean bags.. someone is with them at all times. I wondered if they just let them lay there, get stable and then click it really fast.. I wouldn't have tried it.. I don't even let my little one sit in her bumbo without my hand on it (3 months) so thank you, I think this will broaden my portfolio alot because now I know what I can and cannot do.

& Thank you everyone else who contributed, I appreciate it!

Ediacol said:
So I had fallen in love with this woman's photography... but then I realized that a lot of her photos of say a baby in a candy jar are actually photoshopped together one of the candy jar and then the other of the baby then she will cut around the baby and put him in the jar. Or another photo was of a baby laying on a guitar and it looked amazing however after finding that out I didn't really feel like it was real photography... is there another word for that? Image manipulation or something? I feel like professionals should not rely on photoshop as much.. but I guess with shooting babies you have to use it.. Do you guys frown upon that kind of photography?

Well I know a lot of people frown upon stuffing babies in glass jars or hanging them in slings from trees or whatever else. They should all be composites and most pros do photos like these as composites - including the head in hands pose.

A lot of people don't do composites and it is dangerous. Some lady had a picture of a newborn stuffed in a jar with gum balls and it wasn't a composite. What of the glass broke? The babies neck was also resting on the edge of the jar - uncomfortable. Also - everytime the baby breathes - the gum balls move which can make it harder to breathe. There was also another photographer who posted a pic on FB of a baby hanging in a tree. The babies face was purple and it was crying. The photog said her husband was down below snapping pics as well as being there for her safety. She no longer does photos like that once she learned about composites.

With newborns it should be about safety not just about art.

This thread should have ended at this post. It said everything except that the OP must have been brain dead even wondering if the baby in a jar was photoshop. Houdini claimed this trick was even to dangerous.

This is the link you're looking for which incidentally was linked in the link Bossy linked. :)

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! for posting this link. I love babies, but I have always been petrified of the thought of actually shooting someones child other than my own only because like she says even on the bean bags.. someone is with them at all times. I wondered if they just let them lay there, get stable and then click it really fast.. I wouldn't have tried it.. I don't even let my little one sit in her bumbo without my hand on it (3 months) so thank you, I think this will broaden my portfolio alot because now I know what I can and cannot do.

& Thank you everyone else who contributed, I appreciate it!

Portfolio? Your profile says you shoot with an Iphone? ;)

I just wondered if you have to rely solely on Photoshop for everything is it still photography? should I learn how to do all of that or just stick to natural photography when it comes to babies?\

Is it still photography?

Well considering all the photographic knowledge required to get the lighting right on the baby so that it looks realistic in the composite, composing the shot and positioning the baby, knowing how to use the lighting equipment in general... I'd say it has to do a lot with photography and photographic techniques.

Photoshop is only half the battle, if you have crappy source images, you're going to have a crappy composite.

cgipson1 said:

Pretty sure she just got a dslr!

cgipson1 said:

Pretty sure she just got a dslr!

ok.. and she is already working to BROADEN her portfolio? ROTFLMAO! I think the basics might come first! :)

I don't like them that much. They are more of an 'artist's creation' to me. I prefer real photos, not created ones.

About the most I would go for in doctoring is to add some clouds or some HDR. But generally speaking, I don't doctor the photos, just crop,contrast and tone.

BUT...I don't have to sell my stuff. I just shoot what I like. If I did it for a living, then would have to do what the client wanted.

img030lr2.jpg

Nikon / Plus X / c. 1970's

I am more of a documentary photog. You talk about real photography? In the old days we had to manual focus, hold the camera steady and get the exposure half-ass right with ONE shot....I like looking at those photos best.

Last edited:
cgipson1 said:
ok.. and she is already working to BROADEN her portfolio? ROTFLMAO! I think the basics might come first! :)

I just wanted to know basically if this was something all family photographers had to do to keep up with the trends. personally I like the natural approach to things.. It said in the beginner threads to find your strong point and market yourself that way so since I wanted to focus on families I thought my question was okay.. I didn't really come to put myself out there to be bashed.. but apparently I was viewed as a laughing target...

Thanks to everyone else who wanted to help a beginner I appreciate that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back